Dometic 9100 Powered Awning Non-Standard Fabric Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic 9100 Powered Awning Non-Standard Fabric Replacement

Note—due to the length of these posts please tag me (don’t use quote) if you want to respond and get my attention. To tag enter howson at the start of your response.

I can't stress enough how dangerous it is working on an RV awning. Easily the most dangerous (and painful) component I've messed with on my camper. Read and heed the lessons learned in this thread (and in the awning owner's manual). Don't for a second feel bad if this is a task you decide to pay a professional to accomplish (replace the fabric). "Learning by doing" has it's consequences. OK--read on!

This thread is the culmination and conclusion (hopefully!) to a string of threads on the subject of the awnings on my 315RLTS. This is unfortunately going to be a series of three long posts but hopefully the lessons learned and context will help someone else. The information is also for me so I have a reference in the future if/when I need to do this again.

Long-time regular forum members may remember the hard way I learned that the gutter on the long awning (over the door) on a 315RLTS holds the awning fabric to the camper. Removing the gutter without securing the awning arms nearly sent me to the hospital. I was also very fortunate that the awning wasn’t destroyed.
    Another result of that first mega-goof was a non-OEM awning reinstallation. In short, I added a new awning rail under the OEM gutter instead of using the original gutter awning rail. The new rail is shown in a picture below.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	new awning gutter.jpg Views:	4 Size:	154.9 KB ID:	105665

What I didn’t anticipate with the new rail is that it is impossible to slide the awning material out of the rail (either left or right) due to the awning arms. You can see for yourself the issue in the picture below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CANNOT SLIDE MATERIAL.jpg Views:	4 Size:	155.3 KB ID:	105666

To get the material out of the awning rail I had to remove the rail from the camper. This is a good place to reinforce another (painful) lesson learned:

WARNING: PIN the spring end of the awning tube (FRTA) when working with the awning!
    WARNING: Always ensure BOTH of the awning arms are secured before removing the FRTA from either of the arms, removing the awning material from the awning railing, or removing the awning gutter rail.

As you may note in the pictures above, in the past I’ve used zip ties to hold back the awning arms. An alternative that was easier is using straps as shown in the picture below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Use a strap.jpg Views:	4 Size:	138.9 KB ID:	105667

Since the awning rail had to come off the camper that meant cleaning off all the butyl tape on the back of the rail and camper wall. Then I had to figure out how to get everything reinstalled without doing it per the manual, since (again) sliding the material back onto the awning rail with it installed on the camper wasn’t an option.

Oh—and the inability to remove the awning material (slide it left or right out of the rail) was also encountered on the shorter awning (over the dinette) due to the slide topper I’d installed. So I got to do the non-standard installation twice.
    To be continued...
    Last edited by howson; 02-13-2023, 07:42 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Dometic 9100 Powered Awning Non-Standard Fabric Replacement (continued)

The Non-Standard Fabric Installation
    1. Insert the awning fabric material’s retention “rope” (for lack of a better term) through the awning rail.
      • Note at this point the awning material is not on the tube (Dometic calls the tube the “FRTA”).
      • The plastic LED light holder is also not installed as it would have interfered with the installation of the rail screws.
    2. Apply new butyl tape to the back of the awning rail.
    3. With the DW’s help, climb up ladders and toss the unsecured awning material (what should be attached to the FRTA) onto the roof of the RV.
      • The bottom of the material is facing up (and out) when the rail is positioned on the side of the camper in the next step.
    4. Line up as carefully as possible the rail with the previous installation position and tack up the rail (skipping multiple screws initially just to get the rail in place). Once tacked in place secure the rail with all the screws (do not overtighten).
    5. With the rail reattached to the camper, carefully pull the awning material off the roof and let it drape down the side of the camper.
    6. Slide the FRTA onto the outer end of the awning fabric’s material (it’s hanging quite low at this point so this is easy).
      Click image for larger version  Name:	fabric and tube.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	105669
    7. Rivet on the spring end assembly to the FRTA.
      • I used aluminum 3/16” rivets with a 3/8” - 1/2” grip range.
      • The spring assembly did not have any tension on it at this point. Releasing the tension will be discussed at the end of this post
    8. Climb up the ladders again and reinstall both ends of the FRTA into the awning arms. The awning arms were about 12” out from the camper (tied off with straps as shown previously).
      • WARNING – the Top Casting fits into slots on the awning arm to ensure it holds securely. Understand how it installs and double-check it is right before putting tension on the spring. The pictures at the end of this post were taken from the Dometic manual.
    9. Reattach the power connector to the motor. Click image for larger version  Name:	tube up.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.9 KB ID:	105672
    10. Turn the FRTA about two turns using the RETRACT button (so we used the motor).
    11. Release the spring tension introduced by turning the FRTA the two turns in the previous step by removing the left side Top Casting from the awning arm and unwind it manually. There should only be a small amount of tension from the spring since it had none at the start.
      • WARNING – verify there’s only a small amount of spring tension. It should be very easy to wiggle the FRTA with your hand while it is still installed in the awning arm. If you can’t easily move the tube with your hand there’s “Danger Will Robinson” tension on the spring.
    12. Repeat steps 10 and 11 until the fabric is rewound onto the FRTA (since the arms are about a foot from the camper, the FRTA will also still be about a foot out from the camper).
      • There still should be little to no tension on the spring at this point.
    Almost done! The last step is pre-tensioning the spring, which will be discussed in the next post.

Click image for larger version  Name:	top casting installation.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	105681

Click image for larger version  Name:	Top Casting.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.3 KB ID:	105683

To be Continued...
    Last edited by howson; 02-13-2023, 07:46 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Dometic 9100 Powered Awning Non-Standard Fabric Replacement (continued)

Pre-Tensioning the Spring

What must be understood is the spring tightens as the awning deploys.
        • The tightening spring fights the gas strut-powered extension arms (so they don’t sling the awning material away from the camper) and the spring also helps the motor overcome the gas struts upon retraction.
        • Look carefully at how the spring is installed and it should be obvious that when the FRTA turns clockwise (extending the awning fabric) the spring tightens. So when pre-tensioning using the Top Casting that part must be wound counter-clockwise.
          • “Clockwise” and “Counter-clockwise” is the direction when standing under the awning and looking toward’s the rear of the camper.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring Tension Top Casting.jpg
Views:	1607
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	105676

Remember the awning arms are about a foot from the camper, so there should still be some tension on the spring (but not a lot). After much experimentation I found that four CCW turns on the Top Casting was “just right”.
      • Four turns is still dangerous to handle (if you lose control of the top casting) but it’s doable.
      • How could I tell the tension was right? I could stop the awning deployment at any point during extension (the arms were obviously unstrapped at this point) and the awning did not continue to open by itself.

Name:	Awning up.jpg
Views:	1483
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	105677

Removing Spring Tension

As previously mentioned, how does one remove the tension in the spring end of the FRTA?
      • Consider that to remove (or install) new fabric on the FRTA either the spring end must come out or the motor end must come out of the FRTA.
      If you’re fortunate, it will be obvious there’s not much tension on the tube prior to removing the FRTA from the camper or removing the old material.
      • How? Because even with the tube pinned it will be easy to wiggle the tube back and forth. If it’s rock solid and won’t move the spring is super-tight and very dangerous.
      So how, if there’s a super-tight spring in the tube, can tension be released without endangering yourself or others? I haven’t done this (I’ve managed to try and kill myself both times by doing it “wrong”) but now that I understand the mechanism in theory the following should work.
      • Reinstalled the pinned FRTA without any fabric on it onto the strapped awning arms.
      • Bolt both Top Castings in place in the arms.
      • Reconnect the power lead to the motor.
      • Unpin the spring.
        • What I had to do (both to find the hole to insert the pin and remove the pin) was “bump” the RETRACT or EXTEND button to move the FRTA until the pin came out easily (or I found where to insert the pin).
      • Using the RETRACT button, use the motor to turn the FRTA about two turns counter-clockwise.
        • As you now know, that unwinds the spring.
      • Check to see how much tension is on the spring by trying to wiggle the FRTA (which is still secured in the awning arms).
        • If it’s easy to wiggle, the left Top Casting should be safe to remove from it’s awning arm and then unwind the Top Casting the rest of the way manually.
        • If the spring is still too tight, turn the FRTA one more time and repeat until the spring is loose.
          • Be slow and cautious—you don’t want to turn the spring in the wrong direction by overshooting the neutral or unsprung position.

**Update** It works! I couldn’t stand not trying this, so during the dinette awning install I tested the theory. See the video at https://youtu.be/LEN0DZfuGQo

LED Lights

A reader paying attention may have noticed that up to this point I haven’t mentioned how the LED lights were reinstalled. Again, due to how the railing is installed, they could not be installed as intended by the OEM. Instead, what I did was remove the back of the plastic rail (with a Dremel) and then, using VHB tape, secured the light holder to the camper just under the awning rail.

Name:	awning LED.jpg
Views:	1398
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	105678

Still A Mystery

What I have not figured out yet is how to add tension to an FRTA that needs another turn or two after the fabric is installed. The dinette awning has four turns of pre-tension (like the main awning) but I can tell by how the awning deploys and retracts that’s it’s not quite right. It could probably take another two turns--but that’s too much for me to control. (The dinette awning’s Top Casting is the one that nearly took off my left hand as documented in the Pin It! Thread.) I really don’t want to pin the left Top Casting, remove it from the awning arm, and then try to turn the Top Casting using a pair of Vice Grips (or something that provides more leverage), re-pin it and reinstall in the arm. That’s a recipe for another possible trip to the Emergency Room (something I’ve so far miraculously avoided).

Questions? Comments? Fire away. Remember--please don't use the quote feature (tag me instead).

Howard

Comment

howson that was an amazing amount of info thank you for posting this. You have totally convinced me that this is not a project I would tackle. But my awning fabric is getting small tears and will probably need replacement in the near future.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Howard, let me ask the dumb question about pre tension. Is it possible to extend the awing slightly (5-6 turns), then PIN the spring end, remove the spring end, roll awning back in with motor, then reassemble and unpin the spring end? The number of turns extended and retracted may need to vary based on how much additional pre tension you need to add to the fabric.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Howard, let me ask the dumb question about pre tension. Is it possible to extend the awing slightly (5-6 turns), then PIN the spring end, remove the spring end, roll awning back in with motor, then reassemble and unpin the spring end? The number of turns extended and retracted may need to vary based on how much additional pre tension you need to add to the fabric.
            Unfortunately the spring end is held in with rivets (and so is the motor end). So if an individual is willing to drill out the rivets, then do as you suggest, and rivet the end back on (all while suspended up on a ladder) your suggestion could work.

It's an exceptionally poorly engineered system IMHO. (What a shock that's it an RV part, right?)

Comment

Howard, I guess I was under the assumption that you could un bolt the end of the arm and lift the awning up slightly. With the spring pinned to the end the Motor end would hold it in place.

Not having taken one apart, I was spit balling a conceptual idea.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I am in the process of decidíng to DIY this installation or pay someone to do it. Have same issue in my 2018 303rls awning that is on slide out. The channel is installed in between the arms. Is there any flex at all to get the fabric into the rail without disconnecting the channel or arms? Where did you get your fabric?

Found a good video to add to your post:

https://youtu.be/SmlVH4RNWrY
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Demco Recon

Comment

Many years ago, I tried to replace the awning material on S.O.B that had the old manual awning. It went well until the spring pin fell out. I got banged up and nearly broke my arm. I decided I'd never try that again. It's very dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Beachcamper -- I agree with Jim. The task involves a lot of risk.

Not sure I mentioned it in this thread, but when I used zip ties (and had one of my oopsie moments) the zip ties failed. I note this due to the content in the video. Use a strap!

Comment

I've done a couple of these on my last campers and they were super easy IMHO. There are some very detailed videos available. I think it was less than 30 mins tops including pinning the spring and drilling out the motor side rivets. You can do it.
                      40-year Camping Enthusiast
                      2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

howson, I am leaning towards hiring a mobile tech but the trip charges are well over 300 one way to our location. Where did you order fabric from?

COReflection My vertigo on a ladder is main problem and of course Howards and TucsonJim warnings about the spring letting loose. Also looking at maybe taking it to a dealer. If anyone has any recommendations in Florida or Elkhart, Indiana, please chime in.
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper

I ordered Solera replacements from etrailer. I believe they go well with the color scheme of my '19 Reflection. I chose them based on the extra weatherstrip that is always exposed to the sun.

Name:	image.png
Views:	1064
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	115915

During the installation (obviously)

Views:	1044
Size:	833.8 KB
ID:	115916

Dinette Awning Installed

Views:	1085
Size:	852.8 KB
ID:	115917

I can't recommend anyone specifically for the install (sorry). If you're coming up I-75 there is a Campers Inn dealer in Ocala. Perhaps if you have the material and arrange in advance (and you bring the camper to them) they can be installed at a specific date and time?

Howard

Comment

That’s very nice and the black strip makes sense won’t show dirt as much either. Thank you!
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Demco Recon

Comment

howson, I found this last week while searching for awning repairs on the internet. Which got me to thinking I'm needing to replace the awning fabric on both of the awnings. Luckly the main 13'- 0" awning is on its own awning rail, but unlucky on the 10'-6" awning attached to the slide the rail is in between the arms. I've had some other issues that I have discussed in earlier posts with my awning arms after finding Yoda, post from10/16/209. Right now, waiting on some responses from Campers Inn RV and other mobile technicians to help with the fabric replacement. But any information on your actual lowering of the arms on your rig might come in handy when and if I get a call back. Also let me thank you and the fellow contributors on this site. Because otherwise I would have been lost in this whole adventure of RVing. lol
                              John and Teresa
                              "19" 2500 HD GMC Sierra Duramax SLT.
                              "17" 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                              X