Insignia Oven Issue on M399th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia Oven Issue on M399th

2021 Momentum 399th with the 3.7 cu. ft. Insignia range. My apologies for the wall of text that follows.

First, the stove works just fine. The issue is with the oven. We took delivery of the coach about 6 weeks ago, and have used the oven roughly half a dozen times. Up until this past Monday it worked fine, though it could be temperamental in terms of knob position when lighting.

Monday night I could get the pilot to light (and stay lit), but not the main burner. Since I can get the pilot to remain lit, I think the thermocouple is probably ok. When I turn the knob further to try to light the main burner, the pilot goes out and nothing happens. I have waited up to 5 minutes before trying to get the burner to light (to make sure the thermocouple is hot). No joy.

There is minimal adjustment available in the igniter/pilot/thermocouple assembly. I have tried to light it with a lighter, but no joy. Suffice it to say, with today being Thanksgiving, the wife isn't happy. Here is a photo of the pilot assy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201123_173450.jpg
Views:	5062
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	35980

Our TV is in the shop after a fender bender, and won't be done until 12/4 at the soonest, so getting it to our local dealer isn't feasible right now. Add that delay to a probable 2+ week turnaround, and it gets problematic. I emailed GD about a mobile tech, and got their standard response. No surprise there, but it doesn't help me.

I talked to 2 local mobile techs, and though both think the problem is the oven stem valve, neither has ever worked on the Insignia model. This brings me to the crux of my issue, and where I need all y'all's help:

Where can I find an illustrated parts breakdown for the Insignia model NS-RNG24SS9 range? Though Insignia is Best Buy's brand, I'm unable to find any documentation through them, or anywhere else. Neither of the techs I talked to has a manual for this range.

Also, has anyone here attempted to remove any of the control panel knobs on the Insignia range? They appear to be press fit (no set screw), and are very tight! I'm afraid I'll damage either the knob or the valve if I attempt to pry it off. So, even if I can get the replacement stem valve, I'm not sure if I can successfully replace it. Also, being able to remove the knob might allow me to mess with the valve to confirm it's the culprit.

Any advice on this is appreciated. Also welcome are any alternative suggestions about what might be causing the problem.

TIA!
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 Momentum 399th, built 8/20
    2020 Ram 3500 MC DRW 4x4, 6.7 HO
    Going full time 11/1

Chuck - What a bad day for an oven to fail!

I've also tried to find service and parts manuals with no luck at all. And if all the stove top burners will light up and run, it rules out a gas problem. I assume your unit came with a user's manual in the documentation package? If so, does that cover any of the questions you ask.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Are you connected to shore power? From what I understand, the Insignia oven requires 120v to operate. The pilot will work but the oven won't ignite without 120v

EDIT: The Insignia requires 120v to ignite the pilot so ignore my comments...
      Last edited by bertschb; 11-26-2020, 01:30 PM.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_N View Post
        2021 Momentum 399th with the 3.7 cu. ft. Insignia range. My apologies for the wall of text that follows.

First, the stove works just fine. The issue is with the oven. We took delivery of the coach about 6 weeks ago, and have used the oven roughly half a dozen times. Up until this past Monday it worked fine, though it could be temperamental in terms of knob position when lighting.

Monday night I could get the pilot to light (and stay lit), but not the main burner. Since I can get the pilot to remain lit, I think the thermocouple is probably ok. When I turn the knob further to try to light the main burner, the pilot goes out and nothing happens. I have waited up to 5 minutes before trying to get the burner to light (to make sure the thermocouple is hot). No joy.

There is minimal adjustment available in the igniter/pilot/thermocouple assembly. I have tried to light it with a lighter, but no joy. Suffice it to say, with today being Thanksgiving, the wife isn't happy. Here is a photo of the pilot assy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201123_173450.jpg
Views:	5062
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	35980

Our TV is in the shop after a fender bender, and won't be done until 12/4 at the soonest, so getting it to our local dealer isn't feasible right now. Add that delay to a probable 2+ week turnaround, and it gets problematic. I emailed GD about a mobile tech, and got their standard response. No surprise there, but it doesn't help me.

I talked to 2 local mobile techs, and though both think the problem is the oven stem valve, neither has ever worked on the Insignia model. This brings me to the crux of my issue, and where I need all y'all's help:

Where can I find an illustrated parts breakdown for the Insignia model NS-RNG24SS9 range? Though Insignia is Best Buy's brand, I'm unable to find any documentation through them, or anywhere else. Neither of the techs I talked to has a manual for this range.

Also, has anyone here attempted to remove any of the control panel knobs on the Insignia range? They appear to be press fit (no set screw), and are very tight! I'm afraid I'll damage either the knob or the valve if I attempt to pry it off. So, even if I can get the replacement stem valve, I'm not sure if I can successfully replace it. Also, being able to remove the knob might allow me to mess with the valve to confirm it's the culprit.

Any advice on this is appreciated. Also welcome are any alternative suggestions about what might be causing the problem.

TIA!
        Chuck - were you able to extend the thermocouple down a bit as I suggested over at the other place. Its sitting just outside the hot zone on the flame from what I see?
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
          Are you connected to shore power? From what I understand, the Insignia oven requires 110v to operate. The pilot will work but the oven won't ignite without 110v
          Actually, it requires 120VAC to ignite the pilot.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Actually, it requires 120VAC to ignite the pilot.

Jim
            Oh, that's right. I got it backwards. Sorry about that.
            Brian & Kellie
            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Chuck - were you able to extend the thermocouple down a bit as I suggested over at the other place. Its sitting just outside the hot zone on the flame from what I see?
              I have not attempted a concerted effort to realign it. I need to remove the oven door to really get in there. Truth be told, I've been too lazy to do that... but I will. However, I did move it a little with the limited reach I have, and it didn't change anything. It just strikes me as strange that it would just stop working the way it did.
              Chuck & Madelyn
              Going full time 11/1

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                Chuck - What a bad day for an oven to fail!

I've also tried to find service and parts manuals with no luck at all. And if all the stove top burners will light up and run, it rules out a gas problem. I assume your unit came with a user's manual in the documentation package? If so, does that cover any of the questions you ask.

Jim
                Jim,

The User Manual provided has very basic disassembly instructions, such as those needed for cleaning. There's nothing regarding disassembly for repairs, and no parts list. I'm going to call the Insignia number on the back of the User Manual on Monday, and see how that works out.
                Chuck & Madelyn
                Going full time 11/1

Comment

Jim,

The User Manual provided has very basic disassembly instructions, such as those needed for cleaning. There's nothing regarding disassembly for repairs, and no parts list. I'm going to call the Insignia number on the back of the User Manual on Monday, and see how that works out.
                  Something to try to rule out adjusting the thermocouple of its hard to get to the adjustment would be to hold a stick lighter over it and see if the burner lights. If so that would tell you it just needs adjustment. If it does not light then with the lighter on it that would tell you there’s more to the issue.

For what it’s worth I saw someone had an issue with the Insignia oven and their dealer told them the whole oven had to be replaced, no parts were available, and they did not do any complement level troubleshooting on it.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-insignia-oven
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Something to try to rule out adjusting the thermocouple of its hard to get to the adjustment would be to hold a stick lighter over it and see if the burner lights. If so that would tell you it just needs adjustment. If it does not light then with the lighter on it that would tell you there’s more to the issue.

For what it’s worth I saw someone had an issue with the Insignia oven and their dealer told them the whole oven had to be replaced, no parts were available, and they did not do any complement level troubleshooting on it.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-insignia-oven
                    Neil,

I did try the stick lighter trick, and no joy. However, I am going to try it again. What makes it difficult is that the instructions state to light with the door closed. I don't think door closure will really make a difference but who knows?

I think I saw that article you mentioned, where a new oven was needed. I need to research the date stamp on that. I find that particularly concerning, depending on the age of that comment. If it's a recent comment, and holds true today, I don't think I want the same brand range reinstalled that's essentially non-reparable. That's a non-starter, particularly for when the unit goes out of warranty.

If you were in my position, would you demand a different unit? Alternatives?
                    Chuck & Madelyn
                    Going full time 11/1

Comment

Neil,

I did try the stick lighter trick, and no joy. However, I am going to try it again. What makes it difficult is that the instructions state to light with the door closed. I don't think door closure will really make a difference but who knows?

I think I saw that article you mentioned, where a new oven was needed. I need to research the date stamp on that. I find that particularly concerning, depending on the age of that comment. If it's a recent comment, and holds true today, I don't think I want the same brand range reinstalled that's essentially non-reparable. That's a non-starter, particularly for when the unit goes out of warranty.

If you were in my position, would you demand a different unit? Alternatives?
                      I might, also since it can’t be used without 120V. That said I’m assuming (I haven’t actually seen one yet) that it’s larger than a conventional RV oven and a swap might not be easy.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Chuck, hopefully you figured this out! Only advice is stick to the basics before you get to too much into disassembly. Make sure your stovetop works to validate propane. Gently clean the thermocouple and surrounding area and see if that helps. Other than that since you are under warranty go with mobile tech
                        The conventional RV ovens don't perform very well. If the Insignia perfforms ok when working stick with it.
                        2012 Toyota Tundra / 2020 Transcend Xplor 221RB

Comment

Originally posted by TXcmpr View Post
                          Chuck, hopefully you figured this out! Only advice is stick to the basics before you get to too much into disassembly. Make sure your stovetop works to validate propane. Gently clean the thermocouple and surrounding area and see if that helps. Other than that since you are under warranty go with mobile tech
                          The conventional RV ovens don't perform very well. If the Insignia perfforms ok when working stick with it.
                          I figured out that I'm not messing with it myself any further. I've done all I can within my limited knowledge. Now that we have our TV back (a whole other story), we can either take it to the local dealer or, depending on dealer lead time, get a mobile guy out here.

I got hold of Insignia direct, and they don't offer a part catalog or parts list, so if the part number isn't stamped on the part, you're SOL. It makes me wonder how the warranty centers order parts.
                          Chuck & Madelyn
                          Going full time 11/1

Comment

i am wondering if anyone has found a solution for the pilot light going out once the oven reaches desired temp? We have tried all the suggestions provided and still have the random issue. They want to send us a new oven.

Comment

Originally posted by KALockhart54 View Post
                              i am wondering if anyone has found a solution for the pilot light going out once the oven reaches desired temp? We have tried all the suggestions provided and still have the random issue. They want to send us a new oven.

I don't have one of these so take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is there is no pilot light, it's electronic ignition (that's why it requires shore power to operate). So if yours is not relighting you'd have a problem in the ignitor circuit. It's also my understanding (third hand from posts here) that there are no parts available for the oven, and pretty much any repair requires replacement. Definitely a disappointing design choice.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                              X