Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as a converter that is also an inverter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such a thing as a converter that is also an inverter?

Hi,

I just ordered a Victron Smart Solar 100/30 MPPT controller. I'm going to disconnect my Furrion 50A MPPT (it does the self-reset to "sealed" behavior) and leave it spare. I have a 12v Furrion refrigerator, one 165W solar panel and a 100 ah Battle Born battery.

I only needed a 15A MPPT but wanted 6 awg lugs. I didn't want to modify the wiring to facilitate using the Furrion MPPT again.

My next step later this year is to replace the coach converter. I'd like to also have some minimal inverter capability (for 2 CPAPS, LTE modem, TV, phone chargers, pc chargers), the things I'd want for night in a parking lot.

Is there a single device that would do both (coach converter/inverter). How would I wire it? I see inverter circuit breakers in my 120v panel. Anyone have good article links for a project like this?

Thanks
    Dave & Mary Wichita, Kansas
    2022 Reflection 150 280RS
    2022 RAM 2500 4x2 SB Crew Cab Hemi 4.10 Axle Air Suspension
    Companion OEM Slider set over the axle at 17"
    Leer HF650M Tonneau Cover

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
    Hi,

I just ordered a Victron Smart Solar 100/30 MPPT controller. I'm going to disconnect my Furrion 50A MPPT (it does the self-reset to "sealed" behavior) and leave it spare. I have a 12v Furrion refrigerator, one 165W solar panel and a 100 ah Battle Born battery.

I only needed a 15A MPPT but wanted 6 awg lugs. I didn't want to modify the wiring to facilitate using the Furrion MPPT again.

My next step later this year is to replace the coach converter. I'd like to also have some minimal inverter capability (for 2 CPAPS, LTE modem, TV, phone chargers, pc chargers), the things I'd want for night in a parking lot.

Is there a single device that would do both (coach converter/inverter). How would I wire it? I see inverter circuit breakers in my 120v panel. Anyone have good article links for a project like this?

Thanks
    If you have batteries and an inverter, you won't need a converter.

The purpose of a converter is to convert AC to DC. This is needed of you are connected to an AC power supply (shore power or generator) and do not have a battery to provide DC power...OR you want to charge your battery. (Your batteries are DC and will provide DC power).

The purpose of an inverter is to convert (invert) DC to AC. This is needed if you are not connected to an AC power supply (shore power, generator) and want/need AC power. The inverter will take the DC power from the batteries and output AC power.

My suggestion is to get an inverter that satisfies your requirements, then make sure your battery bank is large enough to handle the power demands.

Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

DaveH sure there is. https://www.parkedinparadise.com/rv-inverter-charger/
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
        Ted you're cheating lol

Those aren't converters, they're chargers I do agree they will provide the same benefit. Good point
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Well, they do convert AC to DC to charge batteries. Tomato, tomahto.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

So most if not all RV's come with a converter/charger unit that converts AC to DC and chargers the battery. The converter/charger is also used, when on shore power, to "help" the battery when a significant DC draw is called for, fans on, furnace fan on, lots of lights, and so on. With that said I would think everyone would need a converter/charger unit of some kind.

DaveH

If your Reflection 280RS has the inverter prep then it may be easiest to leave the DC system alone and just add an inverter thru the prep line. This will only power certain circuits and you may want to change that. If you are going all in, lithium batteries and want to power the whole rig then there is lots to do there.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Those aren't converters, they're chargers
              That's a pretty fine line...lol...converters charge batteries....

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

DaveH

If your Reflection 280RS has the inverter prep ...

Brian [/QUOTE]

I think it does. It has a/c breakers marked inverter. I don't understand how that would work though. Also how would I protect a park electrician from me back-feeding the circuit feeding the sites? I'd have to manually disconnect the coach from shore power before using the inverter right?

I need a lithium converter too which is why I was interested in a unit that would do everything I want.

Comment

The inverter should have an automatic switch to disconnect from its AC feed to pass through the park feed.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

DaveH

If your Reflection 280RS has the inverter prep ...

Brian
                    I think it does. It has a/c breakers marked inverter. I don't understand how that would work though. Also how would I protect a park electrician from me back-feeding the circuit feeding the sites? I'd have to manually disconnect the coach from shore power before using the inverter right?

I need a lithium converter too which is why I was interested in a unit that would do everything I want.

[/QUOTE]

As TedS has stated above most inverters come with or can have an automatic transfers switch. Some are built in to the inverter some are wire outside of the inverter. This is what saves you and the park from bad things. If the inverter is on and you plug in to shore power the automatic transfer switch turns on shore power and off inverter power, vice versa if shore power is lost. If you want to go all in the deep end the Victron Multiplus 2 is a great addition to lithium battery banks, a little pricey though but it is truly a all in one unit and lots of other things. This can be tied right in to the shore power and provide power for the entire rig. Here is a thread that might explain some more on that Victron Multiplus II 2x120v 3kva install Reflection 29RS - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)​. A pretty easy install, we have the "same" model RV.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

[/QUOTE]

As TedS has stated above most inverters come with or can have an automatic transfers switch ...

Brian[/QUOTE]

I think I like your "just add an inverter" idea. My use case is a parking lot in temperate weather so there would be no generator/shore power and very light load.

I think there is some orange romex zip tied in my front compartment. I think there are two. Is that what "inverter ready" means. I need to look again. But is it two single pole breakers connected to that orange romex? With no shore power I just need to be sure my converter breaker is off and power one or both orange romex with inverters?

Changing to a lithium converter becomes another separate task that way.

Comment

I think I like your "just add an inverter" idea. My use case is a parking lot in temperate weather so there would be no generator/shore power and very light load.

I think there is some orange romex zip tied in my front compartment. I think there are two. Is that what "inverter ready" means. I need to look again. But is it two single pole breakers connected to that orange romex? With no shore power I just need to be sure my converter breaker is off and power one or both orange romex with inverters?

Changing to a lithium converter becomes another separate task that way.
                        With Grand Design the inverter is typically wired to just a few select outputs. If this is the case you may have a separate subpanel with a couple breakers already in it.

One end of the orange romex is likely conected to the "inverter" breaker in your distribution panel and the other end is likely connected to the subpanel. If this is the case, installing an inverter is pretty easy.

You would cut the orange romex, install the end connected to the "inverter" breaker to AC INPUT on the inverter. The end going to subpanel would be installed in the AC OUTPUT (or AC load) on the inverter. Then just connect a DC wire/cable from the +/- battery to the +/- on the inverter, ground the inverter and you're done.

Make sure the inverter you get has a built-in Automatic transfer switch (ATS). If it does not you will have to purchase one which changes the install slightly.

below is my subpanel next to my main distribution panel. Your's won't look exactly the same but you can use this for reference.

Click image for larger version  Name:	panel.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.6 KB ID:	111227
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

DaveH by

Here is a link to a thread here that may be of help. Post 1 has a video by Jomani that will explain the inverter prep and how it interacts with the power center.

Reflection 303RLS Inverter Prep and ATS - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

This will be very close if not the same as your 280RS.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                            DaveH by

Here is a link to a thread here that may be of help. Post 1 has a video by Jomani that will explain the inverter prep and how it interacts with the power center.

Reflection 303RLS Inverter Prep and ATS - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

This will be very close if not the same as your 280RS.

Brian
                            Huge help. Now I understand. Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks
                              Dave - good advice above, but I am surprised they left out the Victron Multiplus It is an inverter / charger. I have one (120/3000VA) that replaced my converter and it gives me an inverter too in one box.
                              https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...48v-800va-3kva As you have a 30A service it can power everything - no need for sub panel. Lots of threads on them.

BTW for running CPAP's at night they can run off of 12V https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...wer-in-bedroom

Hope this helps
                              Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X