lighting gremlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lighting gremlin

HI all, haven't been around for a while but things are getting squared away so back to using the 2600RB again. I have a gremlin in my ceiling lights lately. When the water pump cycles on and off the ceiling lights give a small flash. The one nearest the door is brighter, as the distance increases to the other lights it gets dimmer. the water pump, ceiling lights and slide motor are on the same 30 amp fuse and circuit. This occurs on both 12 and 110 volt, day or night. The ceiliing lights are unaffected when ON. I have done the following, 1,, checked all connections and fuses in breaker box, 2, checked all connections in junction box under the frame, 3, removed and inspected control panel for burns or smoke thinking it could be a visibly bad resistor, 4, checked water pump connections, 5, checked connections to and from the batteries and looked for any possible shorts, moved wires around etc., 6, pounded head on wall to make sure it's not in my head.

So......could it be a bad resistor in control panel, could it be a short somewhere hidden away. Is it harmful in someway?

Any thoughts or assistant would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Wow Dave - Good to see you back.

This one is a real "gotcha". I'm going to be following along to see if you can get it resolved. My first thought was to just rewire the pump on it's own circuit.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Are the ceiling lights flashing when they are off?
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

flyfshrockies I agree with Jim, the first thing I thought of was to move the pump to its own circuit. The high draw of the pump could be causing the voltage to drop enough that on your aged lights the driver is flickering. If not that I would say you have a negative shorted to ground somewhere that high resistance or intermittent which would be a nightmare to track down.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

We have the same issue with our lights when using the water pump, in that when the pump kicks in, the lights dim and start to flicker at a frequency that corresponds to the "Brrrrr" of the pump (you know, the noise the water pump makes. Highly technical, I know )

Along with what ncitro and TucsonJim are recommending, my plan is to try and get a new positive wire from the power distribution center to the switch in the control center for the pump. Last year I opened up the control center and could see they used the same positive connection for the lights and water pump, and a few other items.
          2019 Imagine 2400BH
          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post

The ceiliing lights are unaffected when ON.
            On second read, I see your statement here. Are you saying that the light flicker you see is occurring when the switch is in the off / open position? If so, that is a real conundrum, and I would first replace the switch, since it sounds like it's not fully opening the circuit when switched off.
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

flyfshrockies maybe the switched wires cross each other and abraided through, making a loose, high resistance connection. When the pump is turned 'on' voltage is applied at the same time to the lights. When the lights are turned 'on' the same happens to the pump, but not with enough current to run the pump. Pull out one of the switches and tug on its output wire to break the cross connection. Or tug on the + wire to the pump to break the cross connection. Just musing this one.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

When a motor stops there is a pulse of energy from collapsing magnetic lines within the motor. Is the flash ONLY when the motor stops running?
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

StephenO The lights and pump share a common + connection somewhere, like a busbar to which the battery is connected. A dirty, or corroded, or loose connection could make a high resistance and drop voltage when the pump is turned 'on' causing the lights to dim and flicker with pump current draw variation.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

From the original post . . . this light flash is only happening when the switch is off . Is it possible that if the wiring to pump and lights runs parallel for some length, there is an inductive power transfer to the light circuit? Just guessing at this one . . .

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                      HI all, haven't been around for a while but things are getting squared away so back to using the 2600RB again. I have a gremlin in my ceiling lights lately. When the water pump cycles on and off the ceiling lights give a small flash. The one nearest the door is brighter, as the distance increases to the other lights it gets dimmer. the water pump, ceiling lights and slide motor are on the same 30 amp fuse and circuit. This occurs on both 12 and 110 volt, day or night. The ceiliing lights are unaffected when ON. I have done the following, 1,, checked all connections and fuses in breaker box, 2, checked all connections in junction box under the frame, 3, removed and inspected control panel for burns or smoke thinking it could be a visibly bad resistor, 4, checked water pump connections, 5, checked connections to and from the batteries and looked for any possible shorts, moved wires around etc., 6, pounded head on wall to make sure it's not in my head.

So......could it be a bad resistor in control panel, could it be a short somewhere hidden away. Is it harmful in someway?

Any thoughts or assistant would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
                      Dave
                      When I first read this I thought the light were flickering when ON, (normal IMO) but now that I read again I am stumped. However also check the negative return (white) wiring, especially at the pump.. Loose grounds have a habit of letting the gremlins out

Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks Jim. Thanks for the reply's everyone. I've been stumped quite badly by this one. I'm thinking I will try moving the neutral if possible. I did think about the inductive transfer of power as I am familiar with that concept from transformers we use to use at work. Too bad it is not a simple switch replacement but the on/off is in the control panel near the entry door. The control is in the transistors or whatever, the control panel has power in and control signals out, only 2 very small wires exit the system. If/when I come to a solution I will report back.

Dave
                        flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

flyfshrockies the neutral should not be involved. It's part of the AC wiring, not the DC wiring.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Any resolution?

1st thing I would do is isolate the negative on the 2 circuits. Quite possibly the pump is partially using the negative for the lights to run. Think of how screwy the lights on a trailer get when you loose the ground from the TV.

2nd thing would be to break the positives to ensure that they have not crossed somehow creating the issue.

Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with the boards and how they are configured to know if it's a positive or negative switched system.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

My LED lights are flickering when my water pump is running.

Comment

Working...
                              X