Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victron Battery Monitors or Others - Why Do I need One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And of course there are many good quality battery manufactures out there. Some are more affordable, have an excellent warranty and can be purchased on Amazon or at Costco. Some have a variety of features such as built in Bluetooth or CAN which will save you on the battery monitor purchase.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2021, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      And of course there are many good quality battery manufactures out there. Some are more affordable, have an excellent warranty and can be purchased on Amazon or at Costco. Some have a variety of features such as built in Bluetooth which will save you on the battery monitor purchase.

Jim

Lithium or AGM with Bluetooth???? Been looking at videos on how to install that Battery monitor and it seems extremely confusing to me because of the shunt and having everything on that shunt. Anyone have a simple picture of a dual battery setup using the shunt on a 303 or similar? My confusion comes from the connections to the shunt. Water pump, water heater, fridge, leveling, etc? How do I get all those to the shunt?
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
      Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Lithium or AGM with Bluetooth???? Been looking at videos on how to install that Battery monitor and it seems extremely confusing to me because of the shunt and having everything on that shunt. Anyone have a simple picture of a dual battery setup using the shunt on a 303 or similar? My confusion comes from the connections to the shunt. Water pump, water heater, fridge, leveling, etc? How do I get all those to the shunt?
        The shunt goes on the negative, so you just move all your grounds t the shunt rather than the negative battery terminal.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Vivian,

The SmartShunt would be located on the main negative battery cable between all electrical loads and the battery. So the first item from the battery on the negative side would be the SmartShunt. Some are locating this device on top of the battery to simplify the connection. Some are mounting the shunt in a box located on the frame. And others are locating the shunt inside the pass-through where many of us have re-located our batteries.

Here is a video from Jono to explain the SmartShunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HG4...-article_title

JIm

Comment

Thanks guys, I will watch more videos. Just finding out where all the wires are for all the rest of the stuff that needs to be installed on the shunt is my confusion. I understand the negative cable from battery,

Anyway Howard, if I did do 2 lithium 100 amp hour batteries this year and a new converter/charger this year plus monitor. Can I add more batteries in the future without having to replace original batteries such as in a lead acid scenario? I could then next year add solar and an inverter and if I win the lottery more amp hours.

Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Demco Recon

Comment

Thanks guys, I will watch more videos. Just finding out where all the wires are for all the rest of the stuff that needs to be installed on the shunt is my confusion. I understand the negative cable from battery,

Anyway Howard, if I did do 2 lithium 100 amp hour batteries this year and a new converter/charger this year plus monitor. Can I add more batteries in the future without having to replace original batteries such as in a lead acid scenario? I could then next year add solar and an inverter and if I win the lottery more amp hours.

It's really straightforward, you hook the shunt to the battery negative, and it'll be the only thing connected to the battery negative. Everything that used to be on the battery negative goes to the other side of the shunt. Then there's a small red wire that goes from the shunt to positive to power the shunt.

That's it, easy peasy.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yes. At least for Battle Borns that's my understanding, but a call to them is probably a good idea as things change all the time.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Vivian.

Much of this can be daunting but its best to decide exactly what you want to do....for instance to be a serious boon docker, or just on occasion. If you want the simplest installation IMO, and only boondock in the early and late seasons, install two Trojan Trillium lithium 110ah batteries and possibly the SmartShunt and never look back. The trilliums are pricey but they are the only Lithium batteries to carry the IP67 waterproof designation and require a charger that is capable of charging AGM/Gel. A call to Trojan and WFCO (your charger) will result in answers to those questions.
                  Something else that has caught my attention is their claim to use automotive grade components. This would be a first since automotive cells are A grade and virtually all other drop in batteries use B grade cells.
                  If however, your wanting solar panels and an inverter with multiple batteries it would be best to do the research in what you want and have an installer set up your rig.

I should also add the Trojan Trillium has built in CANbus communication and would interface with many of the Victron products where an add on battery monitor would not be needed.

Jim
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Vivian.

Much of this can be daunting but its best to decide exactly what you want to do....for instance to be a serious boon docker, or just on occasion. If you want the simplest installation IMO, and only boondock in the early and late seasons, install two Trojan Trillium lithium 110ah batteries and possibly the SmartShunt and never look back. The trilliums are pricey but they are the only Lithium batteries to carry the IP67 waterproof designation and require a charger that is capable of charging AGM/Gel. A call to Trojan and WFCO (your charger) will result in answers to those questions.
                    Something else that has caught my attention is their claim to use automotive grade components. This would be a first since automotive cells are A grade and virtually all other drop in batteries use B grade cells.
                    If however, your wanting solar panels and an inverter with multiple batteries it would be best to do the research in what you want and have an installer set up your rig.

I should also add the Trojan Trillium has built in CANbus communication and would interface with many of the Victron products where an add on battery monitor would not be needed.

Jim

Jim after reading and studying pros and cons and initial costs, went with Lifeline 12 volt AGM batteries. Partly due to my skill level doing the install myself of converter, charging batteries while underway via trailer plug and triple the cost of AGM. There were so many “gotcha” scenarios that I just did not feel qualified to undertake. I really need to get my system ready for travel as we leave FL in April heading west. My current 12 volt lead cell batteries will not make it through the summer they are already going on 5 years.

I did order the BMS 712. Do I need to order a negative battery cable to use from negative post to shunt? If so, what gauge and length would be dependent on where I install shunt. Can’t find any info on this.

Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper Vivian,

AGM batteries are fine and can work exceptionally well. It all depends on the need. Lifeline has great quality.

Since your batteries are mounted inside the Reflection you can purchase some pre-made battery cables to do the connection. Find the location you wish to mount the BMV712 inside the rig. The shunt is not waterproof.
                      But honestly, since your wanting to get this done with minimal pain, I would take the rig to a RV or an auto repair center and let them know what your wanting to do. Not seeing your current arrangement, and if your moving from one battery to two, this would involve some battery mounting (tie down), cabling and installing the BMV-712 gauge and the shunt which is inline to the negative battery cable.
                      If your doing a direct replacement of two batteries, the BMV-712 shunt should be connected inline on the main negative battery cable on the main wire that is routed to the chassis ground. In this case purchasing a small cable that is sized for the BMV-712 Posts and the same size wire as your current feed wire to the rig would be all you need outside of setup of the actual device. There are plenty of videos on this.

With BlueTooth you really do not need to mount the gauge inside your rig. You can mount it in the battery compartment and use the BlueTooth feature in the Victron app to monitor. Here is a simple gauge mount for mounting the control head in the battery compartment. The SmartShunt has all the same features as the BMV-712 but does not use the control head. Just the app.

https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Holde.../dp/B07N3X16BK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sruxxpmFdts

Here is one example of some pre-made cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Spartan-Power...74920400&psc=1

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-02-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Beachcamper Vivian,

AGM batteries are fine and can work exceptionally well. It all depends on the need. Lifeline has great quality.

Since your batteries are mounted inside the Reflection you can purchase some pre-made battery cables to do the connection. Find the location you wish to mount the BMV712 inside the rig. The shunt is not waterproof.
                        But honestly, since your wanting to get this done with minimal pain, I would take the rig to a RV or an auto repair center and let them know what your wanting to do. Not seeing your current arrangement, and if your moving from one battery to two, this would involve some battery mounting (tie down), cabling and installing the BMV-712 gauge and the shunt which is inline to the negative battery cable.
                        If your doing a direct replacement of two batteries, the BMV-712 shunt should be connected inline on the main negative battery cable on the main wire that is routed to the chassis ground. In this case purchasing a small cable that is sized for the BMV-712 Posts and the same size wire as your current feed wire to the rig would be all you need outside of setup of the actual device. There are plenty of videos on this.

With BlueTooth you really do not need to mount the gauge inside your rig. You can mount it in the battery compartment and use the BlueTooth feature in the Victron app to monitor. Here is a simple gauge mount for mounting the control head in the battery compartment.

https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Holde.../dp/B07N3X16BK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sruxxpmFdts

Here is one example of some pre-made cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Spartan-Power...74920400&psc=1

Jim
                        I will definitely leave the monitor in the battery compartment which is one reason I splurged for the Bluetooth.

I already have two 12 volt batteries installed so drop in plug and play to existing. Thanks for the video link good to know it’s a 3/8 on the shunt posts. It’s that extra negative cable that is required to connect to shunt I am missing so will order. The yellow caps are qwik fill water system which makes life easy. I will be removing these and with same size but AGM.

. Click image for larger version  Name:	A964286B-47A8-4CFB-A168-B7FBB0867E8E.png Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	41617
                        Last edited by Beachcamper; 02-02-2021, 11:27 AM.
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Demco Recon

Comment

I just received my BMV 712 and hopefully my two Lifeline Group 27 AGM batteries, battery cable to connect to shunt and new battery box to accomodate a group 27 battery will arrive next week. The instructions sure are confusing vs what one finds online. I snagged a picture from an airstream forum post that really simplifies how to connect in parallel two 12 volt batteries. I hope others find it as useful as I have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bmv.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	41752

When I first bought my 303 it was in late 2017 and the model is a 2018. I had NO idea what type of batteries to add and left it up to the dealer to help me out. I asked for the recommended group 27 batteries and I knew I needed two for overnight stays. Honestly, I just got that info from the recommendation in the manual. Really did not have any clue what it all meant. Years later I never really looked at what the dealer installed as carefully as I should have. I did question the brand and they said it was THE BEST. But I assumed they were installing group 27 batteries. They did not, they installed Group 24 batteries and those only have 65 amp hours so it has been like tent camping in a fiberglass tent all these years. But with fridge and hot water. Make sure you look over all the extra's the dealer is selling you carefully.....

Hopefully these new batteries with the added amps can power the lights occasionally so I don't have to use my Luci lights in the rig to see.

Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Finally some cool weather down here to turn off power and test my battery monitor. It is amazing to have that Bluetooth capability during the night and able to monitor usage, I highly recommend getting the BMS712. My experiment recreated a typical stay at an overnight stop such as a Harvest Host. We usually get there by 3 pm so I shut power off at that time. We cooked pizza in the oven, took long hot showers using the WH and water pump. Lights were on, fantastic fan on and bathroom vent on while showering, fridge was on propane and I watched movies on my iPad. I do have a portable 7 ah battery box I made to run my depth finder that I use in the rig to also charge phones and power a fan via a 12 volt plug. This I used for iPads in living area, wish we had USB outlets and 12 volt in this room. This morning I ran the furnace to take the edge off the cold for about 15 minutes.

It appears my usage is under 30 ah per day which helps me determine future solar installation. Having only one portable suitcase panel at 100 watts would give me 30 amps per day which is just what we use. Having a 200 watt roof mounted system would be perfect for us. I hope I am interpreting this correctly?

Click image for larger version  Name:	83E6B74E-0D6A-47AA-9A83-D2DB41442357.png Views:	7 Size:	438.1 KB ID:	45398

I now have 3 hours on my Champion dual fuel 2500 watt generator and will be using it today to power the RV to charge up battery bank. Have changed oil on it at 1 hour and 2 hours will change again at 5 hours. Oil was very dirty and had a few tiny metal flecks in it. Although champion only recommends changing oil at 5 hours, oil is cheap and I feel better changing it a couple times during break in. One thing that did not work was the included propane assembly, it would not allow propane to unit. It ran fine on gasoline. Champion is sending me a new assembly and noted they have had issues with it. Unfortunately I did not want to run on gasoline but will drain it all when I finish my break in period.

Portable solar panel update test: battery’s now fully charged from what I used yesterday and this morning. Still running fantastic fans and lights. Total time 2 hours to recharge batteries, not bad.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2F3CA8C0-7CD9-4E4F-8BC6-79F961B471E7.png Views:	0 Size:	439.4 KB ID:	45419
                            Last edited by Beachcamper; 03-08-2021, 11:17 AM.
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Demco Recon

Comment

I hope I am interpreting this correctly?
                              A typical 100 watt panel will provide about 30AH per day. I think you're spot on with your assessment.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X