Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victron Battery Monitors or Others - Why Do I need One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

It's a long drive in the salt and snow but come on up to Chicago and we can knock it out in a weekend lol.
    Just hold on Neil - I have a better idea. Why don't we all leave the snow behind, load up the tools and boondoc on the beach and help Vivian out? A remote island in the sun sound good right now?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Just hold on Neil - I have a better idea. Why don't we all leave the snow behind, load up the tools and boondoc on the beach and help Vivian out? A remote island in the sun sound good right now?
      I do like that plan but all my tools and my shop are here lol.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I do like that plan but all my tools and my shop are here lol.
        Thank you Neil, I would take you up on the offer but in the summer or fall. Never been in snow so might be dangerous driving up there pulling the 303 As Yoda mentioned, it’s much nicer down here right now

Been watching a ton of how to install battery monitor videos. I think this will be my first step to determine which way to go for my power needs. This one was my favorite easy to understand video.

https://youtu.be/tObHbsSDWeQ
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Thank you Neil, I would take you up on the offer but in the summer or fall. Never been in snow so might be dangerous driving up there pulling the 303 As Yoda mentioned, it’s much nicer down here right now

Been watching a ton of how to install battery monitor videos. I think this will be my first step to determine which way to go for my power needs. This one was my favorite easy to understand video.

https://youtu.be/tObHbsSDWeQ
          No worries any time. The Victron BMV is a piece of cake install. Config can be a little tricky but the install itself is simple. Gets more tricky as you add more components, but the BMV is a good way to get your feet wet.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Beachcamper

Vivian

I hope your "secluded island" is rather large as I can see a long convoy of GD'ers coming your way.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Beachcamper

Vivian

I hope your "secluded island" is rather large as I can see a long convoy of GD'ers coming your way.

Brian
              Not secluded but remote. Within Everglades National park, one of the ten thousand islands. You would think solar installers would be here a dime a dozen but most just hook up to pedestals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D249A77E-F854-4A7B-8FE8-5504E8280908.jpeg
Views:	411
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	41389
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

Back to the serious work of ordering a battery monitor. I looked at the Victron and the Renogy monitors. Also looked at Alli for the mid range cost. In the Victron offering the cheapest is the BMV 700 as it does not have the Bluetooth dongle. I honestly don’t believe I need this feature with my 2 100 ah AGM 12 volt batteries and no solar other than a portable 100 watt suitcase and future purchase of a small generator. Looking at the champion dual fuel to use with propane. Unless I am wrong and would benefit with monitoring from phone. What would be great is an alarm to let me know when I am at 50% capacity which is really what I care about. Not taking batteries below 50%.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energ...ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

For you gurus based on my setup, would you still get the Victron or go with the cheaper Alli? Still need to buy the stranded cable another $15 and would need to get a 1/0 AWG negative cable to go from battery to shunt for both units.

https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Voltmete..._t2_B084M2XYK4
                Last edited by Beachcamper; 01-31-2021, 10:45 AM.
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Demco Recon

Comment

B I honestly don’t believe I need this feature with my 2 100 ah AGM 12 volt batteries and no solar other than a portable 100 watt suitcase and future purchase of a small generator. Looking at the champion dual fuel to use with propane. Unless I am wrong and would benefit with monitoring from phone. What would be great is an alarm to let me know when I am at 50% capacity which is really what I care about. Not taking batteries below 50%.

Vivian - A 50% depth of discharge (DOD) is recommended for flooded lead/acid batteries. Your AGMs can safely be drawn down to an 80% DOD. That's one of their great benefits. Check out this article from "Battery University". The third paragraph mentions the 80% vs. 50% recommendations.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._glass_mat_agm

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Beachcamper

Vivian,

The Victron SmartShunt would be high quality at a lower cost and would have BlueTooth to set alarms for notifications and other functions.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smart...32901260&psc=1

Jim

Comment

Jim, I am looking at Lifeline AGM and they mention only taking them down to 50%. But I have also seen other material stating 80%. Still on the fence between going lithium or AGM just can’t justify the cost.

This was cut and paste from Lifeline website: What depth of discharge should be used when sizing a battery?

To get the best cycle life, the average depth of discharge should be as low as possible. Concorde recommends the average depth of discharge to be no greater than 50% of the battery’s 20 hour rating.
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        Beachcamper

Vivian,

The Victron SmartShunt would be high quality at a lower cost and would have BlueTooth to set alarms for notifications and other functions.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smart...32901260&psc=1

Jim

Is this to be used with the Aili or Victron only? That alarm function is a plus and not having to bring the actual monitor into the living space is becoming more palatable. I was looking at how to wire the Aili to living room from front bay. It would not be impossible but it’s quite the mission to get wires to convenience center and then drilling the holes to flush mount the monitor.

Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Demco Recon

Comment

The BMV700 is a Victron unit without Bluetooth. The BMV712 has Bluetooth where you can program (easy to do) and monitor your battery usage and set low limits to monitor charge intervals and more. The latest version is whats referred to as a SmartShunt where you have all the same features as the BMV712 such as Bluetooth and the Victron Connect App but without the control head. This is a good option since you do not have to bore a hole to mount the gauge with the SmartShunt unit. The Victron Connect App gives you all the information you need right on your smart phone.

Everything you need is provided with the Victron Smartshunt. You will need to install the device which would involve some minor modifications to your negative battery cable.

Jim

Comment

Is this to be used with the Aili or Victron only? That alarm function is a plus and not having to bring the actual monitor into the living space is becoming more palatable. I was looking at how to wire the Aili to living room from front bay. It would not be impossible but it’s quite the mission to get wires to convenience center and then drilling the holes to flush mount the monitor.
                            I'd recommend one of the Bluetooth units (712 or SmartShunt) of only to make the programming easier. I had a Trimetic in my last rig and it was fine but the ease of programming on my phone is worth it alone.

Neil Citro

Comment

OK, you all convinced me on the Bluetooth and splurging on the Victron BMV712. Now to obsess over lithium or AGM
                              Vivian
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Demco Recon

Comment

Jim, I am looking at Lifeline AGM and they mention only taking them down to 50%. But I have also seen other material stating 80%. Still on the fence between going lithium or AGM just can’t justify the cost.

This was cut and paste from Lifeline website: What depth of discharge should be used when sizing a battery?

To get the best cycle life, the average depth of discharge should be as low as possible. Concorde recommends the average depth of discharge to be no greater than 50% of the battery’s 20 hour rating.
                                My .02: Lithium is definitely the way to go if it's financially feasible. You can forget to check the battery level (or have something go wrong) and the battery management system (BMS) built in to the Battle Born will protect the battery. Run down any other type of battery more than once and you'll be looking at either a reduced capacity or shopping again.

The initial price of a lithium is high, but cost of ownership is extremely competitive if not superior IMHO. Consider the long term per amp-hour delivered along with the fantastic recharge rate of a lithium. Yes, a new converter will probably be required, too, but that's easy to swap out in your 303. I sound like a salesman (sorry!) but I'm convinced that a Battle Born, Victron BMV-712 battery monitor (or SmartShunt), and a lithium-capable converter is a fantastic system for our trailers.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                                X