Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victron Battery Monitors or Others - Why Do I need One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
    Yoda I went back and found some better photos from my install.
    Neil
    Thanks Looks like you planed things well. Very neat job. You also read my mind on using the larger Blue See circuit box. On my to get list.
    I see you used some heavy duty buss bars. May I ask where you got them?

Thanks again
    Keith
    Last edited by howson; 01-20-2021, 12:25 PM. Reason: Shortened quote
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda The big one I repurposed from my Magnum inverter install. I think it is a Blue Sea. The smaller ones are this:

Blue Sea Systems Common 150A 10-Gang BusBar with Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091VHLW4...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I had two of the disconnect switches leftover too, that's why they are different physical sizes. The benefit to wiring the inverter to it's own disconnect was I didn't need the bus bars to carry all that current, just the fuse holder and disconnect.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yoda Keith,

To answer your original question, IMHO yes you need a good quality monitor. I have the BMV712 and it is precise in its tracking of my single lithium battery system, so I'm satisfied. But since I installed this unit, Victron came out with the smart shunt where in my case I would have purchased over the BMV712. The smart shunt uses blue tooth and will interface with a phone app. There are other options of course where there are full panel options like on Howard's Cadillac system.
        My system is a Chevy which works for my needs.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          Yoda Keith,

To answer your original question, IMHO yes you need a good quality monitor. I have the BMV712 and it is precise in its tracking of my single lithium battery system, so I'm satisfied. But since I installed this unit, Victron came out with the smart shunt where in my case I would have purchased over the BMV712. The smart shunt uses blue tooth and will interface with a phone app. There are other options of course where there are full panel options like on Howard's Cadillac system.
          My system is a Chevy which works for my needs.

Jim
          It's not quite a "Cadillac" system (you need to look at the setups on the Facebook group!). Definitely in the "Lariat" class, though. If I had a 5vr with a big 'ol basement I'd think about a "King Ranch" or "Platinum" setup.

I'm sure you're not missing the Ford references...lol...
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Well to let folks know I have a 712 coming - it going in my Model T set upoff to my corner now.
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
              Well to let folks know I have a 712 coming - it going in my Model T set upoff to my corner now.
              Keith
              Keith,

You will love the BMV712. You can also integrate that into a battery protect and other nice gadgets. I have no regrets but since I never look at the gauge, the smart shunt would have saved me a few bucks.

I'm adding in my dual solar panels which will put me into Hudson Hornet range.

Jim

Comment

Being as I only have a $15 battery meter and a cheapo wet battery I may not even make the "Little Rascal scooter" model. But alas when I grow up I hope to have a full blown solar array that would power 2 or 3 RV's at one time , probably will need a bigger roof for that.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Just for completeness, Here's a video Will Prowse did on the SmartShunt (Basically a BMV712 without the remote display)

I'm buying the SmartShunt myself. (I don't need / want to install the remote display in the camper if I can pop it up on the phone)
                  Mike
                  2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

This thread is fantastic--moved to Reference Material section.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I wish there was somewhere to take my RV to get new lithium batteries, monitor, inverter and charge controller installed by someone other than ME.
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                        I wish there was somewhere to take my RV to get new lithium batteries, monitor, inverter and charge controller installed by someone other than ME.
                        There are Solar installers around that would do the job. If you are in Florida look up howson , Arizona you can find TucsonJim . Being the "off" season these guys should have lots of time to do your project.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

There are Solar installers around that would do the job. If you are in Florida look up howson , Arizona you can find TucsonJim . Being the "off" season these guys should have lots of time to do your project.

Brian
                          Gotta find me first.....

Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Like Country Campers said, there are people the world over that do this professionally.

Here's one, but I have no idea if it's in your neck of the woods:
                            https://www.fsi-solutions.com/

(I found them Via Keeping Your Daydream, who said they found them by calling BattleBorn Batteries and asking for a recommendation for an installer)
                            Mike
                            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
                              I am on a remote island in southern Florida for the winter. It’s not easy to get anyone down here and if you do, it’s a lot of money for trip charges. But I will send howson a message see where he is and get an idea of costs.

Vivian
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                              Demco Recon

Comment

I am on a remote island in southern Florida for the winter. It’s not easy to get anyone down here and if you do, it’s a lot of money for trip charges. But I will send howson a message see where he is and get an idea of costs.
                                It's a long drive in the salt and snow but come on up to Chicago and we can knock it out in a weekend lol.

Neil Citro
                                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                                X