Tank monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
    I used a 2X4 and one hand bar clamps and walked the 2X4 down the frame rails as I progressed.
    I did the same as you, worked pretty good!

Just an update on the install, I completed the installation of the black tank and the two grey tanks. I have attached a screenshot of the tank readings from my CCGX, and things look pretty good. Once I get the new sensor from Safiery, I will connect the fresh water tank and should be able to get more accurate readings from all the tanks on my 310GK.
    Dealing with Bruce from Safiery has been very frustrating, to say the least. I could not get them to acknowledge there may be a problem with one of the sensors I ordered, and I was forced to pay another $164.00 for a new sensor+shipping. Bruce has yet to respond to any of my emails, so I gave up for the sake of completing my project. I was able to successfully install three out of 4 of their sensors, so I think I have some experience now with how they work, but after multiple attempts trying to get the 4th one working...I gave up. Its too bad they won't agree that maybe I was correct in saying something was wrong.
    Oh well, enough of my rant. if you do purchase from Safiery, please understand you may have a problem returning something that is defective.

Mark

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 4.35.47 PM.png
Views:	841
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	59523
    2021 GD Solitude 310GK (New on 12/2/20)
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Crew Cab 8' Bed Diesel with B&W Companion
    Victron Multiplus 3000, 5500w Onan Generator, DC_DC charger, Amsolar SPS 420ah Lion Energy Lithium, Victron BMV-712 Smart
    Victron SmartSolar Charger MPPT 150/70, 700W Renogy 175w Flexible Solar Panels.

Comment

Originally posted by applewpb View Post

I did the same as you, worked pretty good!

Just an update on the install, I completed the installation of the black tank and the two grey tanks. I have attached a screenshot of the tank readings from my CCGX, and things look pretty good. Once I get the new sensor from Safiery, I will connect the fresh water tank and should be able to get more accurate readings from all the tanks on my 310GK.
      Dealing with Bruce from Safiery has been very frustrating, to say the least. I could not get them to acknowledge there may be a problem with one of the sensors I ordered, and I was forced to pay another $164.00 for a new sensor+shipping. Bruce has yet to respond to any of my emails, so I gave up for the sake of completing my project. I was able to successfully install three out of 4 of their sensors, so I think I have some experience now with how they work, but after multiple attempts trying to get the 4th one working...I gave up. Its too bad they won't agree that maybe I was correct in saying something was wrong.
      Oh well, enough of my rant. if you do purchase from Safiery, please understand you may have a problem returning something that is defective.

Mark

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 4.35.47 PM.png
Views:	841
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	59523
      Well - if my posts leading up to your install show anything....Bruce seems like a nice guy....but I have had trouble getting basic questions answered and to the quote stage. If you have trouble on the front end....and haven't paid anything yet....I tend to not expect anything better on the other side once they have my money 100% in hand. Unfortunate.

How close are you to WV? Feel like a road trip for my install? /smile
      2020 Imagine 2400BH
      2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

Well - if my posts leading up to your install show anything....Bruce seems like a nice guy....but I have had trouble getting basic questions answered and to the quote stage. If you have trouble on the front end....and haven't paid anything yet....I tend to not expect anything better on the other side once they have my money 100% in hand. Unfortunate.

How close are you to WV? Feel like a road trip for my install? /smile
        Hindsight is always a good teacher! Unfortunately, Safiery is the only game in town for these sensors, and we have to pay to play. I will say, the install is pretty easy if you follow the directions they provide, and can decipher the 12v/24v output from the ports. The hardest part. to me at least, was pulling down the coroplast (by myself), and re-hanging it back to the bottom of the RV.

In my Solitude, the grey tanks and the black tank are almost side-by-side, so once they were exposed the install was pretty simple. The freshwater tank is on the backside of the rear-most axle; I ran my fish tape from the passthru back to the tank and pulled a string thru. I cheated and cut a small flap in the coroplast, right at the center of the tank. I will post a picture of how I finished this off when I complete the last sensor.

I will encourage you to purchase the sensors from Safiery, your experience may be completely different than mine was. And, do the install yourself; I am happy to answer any questions if you run into a problem. The biggest take-aways from this, for me, was:
        • purchase extra cable from them, you only get 6' and I needed about 10' for the FW tank. The cable is not readily available anywhere I shopped. I just received my new sensor, and they lengthened the cable to 3m
        • depending on where you install the Tank 140, and the location of your GX device, you may need a USB extension cable (I did)
        • use the KY jelly on the sensors to test the area on the tank you are planning to attach the sensor. I tried to find the center of the tanks, and worked from that spot. If the blue LED starts blinking on that spot, you will know the sensor detected liquid. A blinking LED lets you know the sensor is working properly.
        • Once you are certain you have the spot for installation, clean off any KY jelly ( I used rubbing alcohol), heat the install area with a lighter, and mix up some 2 part epoxy. I used clear JB Weld that has a plunger to mix the ingredients. When you attach it to the tank, it should start to blink as if you had the KY on it. I used a 2' piece of 1x4 wedged under a support to hold the sensor tight to the tank, you will see what I mean once you drop the coroplast.
        Thats pretty much it; I followed the instructions from Victron (Tank 140) and Safiery, and improvised when needed; also make sure there is water/liquid in all the tanks. I would love to visit WV someday, but it won't be until next year at the earliest!! Again, I think the install went pretty easy, just a little sweat equity on our end.

Mark
        Victron Multiplus 3000, 5500w Onan Generator, DC_DC charger, Amsolar SPS 420ah Lion Energy Lithium, Victron BMV-712 Smart

Comment

Would love to see a picture of your GX Tank 140 with the wires going in. I have read the manuals multiple times...watched the videos etc. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the orders this week.
          2020 Imagine 2400BH
          2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

I am heading there today to install the FW sensor, and complete the installation. I will send post pictures of the Tank 140 when I am done. I placed may order from Safiery on Thursday, DHL delivered yesterday. The shipping takes less time then I thought.

Comment

Picture of tank 140 wiring, and short video of fresh water tank sensor just after installation:

Click image for larger version  Name:	67D7EEFC-FA11-4378-8496-C6E98361D1A0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	60148 81BC4A15-D1FD-403A-AB97-A8852F723335.MOV
              Last edited by applewpb; 07-10-2021, 01:00 AM. Reason: Can’t seem to be able to add sensor video

Comment

Picture of tank 140 wiring, and short video of fresh water tank sensor just after installation:

Click image for larger version Name:	67D7EEFC-FA11-4378-8496-C6E98361D1A0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	60148 [ATTACH]n60149[/ATTACH]
                Thanks! That helps a ton. Not sure the video came through.

Did you use Ferrells? What size?

Ordered parts today from inverter supply and sent money to Safiery.
                2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

For my install I also ordered a Powered USB hub (I am using a GPS device and the Touch 50 GX is in the power only port of the Cerbo...so with (2) GX Tank 140's...I needed something. I got one that is far too large, but has ESD and surge protection built in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015ZNWBYE...roduct_details

They have a 4 port I almost bought, I liked it better...but it only had ESD protection and the price on the 10 port dropped.

I also picked up some J-B Weld.
                  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTTYKGS...roduct_details
                  2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
                    For my install I also ordered a Powered USB hub (I am using a GPS device and the Touch 50 GX is in the power only port of the Cerbo...so with (2) GX Tank 140's...I needed something. I got one that is far too large, but has ESD and surge protection built in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015ZNWBYE...roduct_details

They have a 4 port I almost bought, I liked it better...but it only had ESD protection and the price on the 10 port dropped.

I also picked up some J-B Weld.
                    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTTYKGS...roduct_details
                    you got this! Once you get started, you will see how easy things fall into place. I used these ferrules from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ferrules-Sopo.../dp/B06XCX8FMZ

and this crimper:

https://www.amazon.com/Ferrule-Crimp.../dp/B08GFRKJ4Y

i used the smaller sized ferrules, stepped up a size for the double power connection.

81BC4A15-D1FD-403A-AB97-A8852F723335.MOV This is how a correctly installed sensor should behave, I hope the files works.

Mark

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Mark! I was able to watch the video.
                        2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

I guess it’s my turn to ask for updates on your install once you get started, I am very curious to see how it goes, and what you did differently than I did with my install.

Mark

Comment

I guess it’s my turn to ask for updates on your install once you get started, I am very curious to see how it goes, and what you did differently than I did with my install.

Mark
                            Parts not in yet....just checked mailbox....not sure how they are going to arrive. I think the only differences is I picked up (2) GX Tank 140's.....and I also grabbed (2) LPG sensors and (1) temperature sensor.....the DW wants that in the fridge...Because of the # of USB devices, I grabbed the powered USB switch on amazon (overkill) and will have to hang some (probably will do all) devices off of it. Have Epoxy, ring terminals (for power) in hand. Thinking about picking up your Crimping tool and Ferrules on amazon.

Both orders placed 7/11. (Inverter supply and Safiery). I may email them to see if there is a tracking #.
                            2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Safiery uses DHL, shipping is pretty fast considering it’s coming from Australia…mine took maybe three days max. I already had a temp sensor for the fridge, and the Mopeka propane tank sensors so couldn’t justify the extra expense. I am glad I had the crimp ferrules, found another use for them in another project (exterior cooling fans for the norcold). If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask, and enjoy the install.

Mark

Comment

Apparently it did not ship until the 7/16. I did request longer cables on the sensors....no idea if they complied. ETA on arrival is 7/28.
                                2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
                                X