Refrigerator Power while traveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator Power while traveling

I am new to owning a fifth wheel trailer. I read in the manual that I should shut off the propane while traveling. If I do that, then how do I get ac power to the refrigerator. My unit has a Dometic 8 FT3. The trailer now has a single 12 volt wet cell lead acid deep cycle battery. No solar panels or inverter yet. I read in another post that a 12 FT3 Dometic uses 32 amp hours of power. I have not done all the math, but even though the 8 FT# may use less power than the 12 FT3, I expect that one 12 volt lead acid battery will not power the refr too long given that you should not discharge a lead acid battery more than 50%. So a few questions.
    1. As the truck has a 240 amp alternator, will the truck recharge the trailer battery and could it reasonablely keep the refr going?
    2. If I add solar panels and inverter, would lithium batteries be a better option?
    3. Where can I get a wiring diagram of my trailer?
    Thanks

PaddlerDave Welcome to the forum!
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by PaddlerDave View Post
      1. As the truck has a 240 amp alternator, will the truck recharge the trailer battery and could it reasonablely keep the refr going?
      2. If I add solar panels and inverter, would lithium batteries be a better option?
      3. Where can I get a wiring diagram of my trailer?
      Welcome to the Grand Design Owners Forum! There's a post here for newcomers that will help you get up-to-speed on this forum. Find it here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

To answer your questions-
      1- Most trucks put out limited power at the RV plug. My Ford does about 7amps.
      2- Lithium batteries are always a better option if you can afford them and they are becoming more price competitive all the time.
      3- Grand Design doesn't share their wiring diagrams with owners.

BTW - A lot of owners leave their propane on while driving. I'm not saying it's right. Just saying most people just leave it on so they can run their fridge with no worries. That's what I did when I had a propane fridge.

Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

We leave our propane on while traveling, but it constantly turns off. Every time we stop we have to turn the fridge back on. In a few months we are swapping for a 12V fridge, Lithium battery(s), more solar.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

The fridge should run Ok while driving. If it is going out, it may be missing the air deflector by the burner. I had this problem on a fridge in our motorhome many years ago.
          Tony G
          2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
          2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
          KTM 250XC

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will probably leave the refrigerator running on propane. I find it strange the Grand Design does not share wiring diagrams. I can probably figure it out without the diagram. Unfortunately, my experience so far with the service department at the dealer where I bought the unit in April has not encouraged me to rely on them without question. Thanks again.

Comment

After several trips with all day driving I don't worry about the refrigerator - most of them are well enough insulated that unless it's pretty darn hot outside they'll do just fine without running while in motion. Ice cubes don't melt, things aren't soft in the freezer, and from checking with a thermometer the fridge is staying within tolerances. I'll run 4 hours or so before stopping for lunch, if it's hot I'll run the generator while stopped having lunch and then shut everything off and head out for the afternoon leg. Have gone 8+ hours without powering up the refrigerator with no issues. Lived in Alaska where we had frequent power outages growing up and we'd go 2-3 days without power and no issues with food spoiling so long as people didn't stand there with the door opened "thinking" about what they wanted - so far the same seems true for the fridge in the RV?
              Personal preference but I don't like having electrical and/or propane systems active when traveling and so far have had zero issues.
              Chris
              Chris
              2019 Solitude 3740BH
              2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
                After several trips with all day driving I don't worry about the refrigerator - most of them are well enough insulated that unless it's pretty darn hot outside they'll do just fine without running while in motion. Ice cubes don't melt, things aren't soft in the freezer, and from checking with a thermometer the fridge is staying within tolerances. I'll run 4 hours or so before stopping for lunch, if it's hot I'll run the generator while stopped having lunch and then shut everything off and head out for the afternoon leg. Have gone 8+ hours without powering up the refrigerator with no issues. Lived in Alaska where we had frequent power outages growing up and we'd go 2-3 days without power and no issues with food spoiling so long as people didn't stand there with the door opened "thinking" about what they wanted - so far the same seems true for the fridge in the RV?
                Personal preference but I don't like having electrical and/or propane systems active when traveling and so far have had zero issues.
                Chris
                It depends on which fridge you have obviously but most of the RV refrigerators are not insulated nearly as well as a residential. TucsonJim did some testing a while ago regarding it's ability to hold temperature when not running and as I recall it increased to an unsafe level after only an hour or so.

Edit: I found his thread.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...d-temperatures
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

According to the Norcold rep at the recent rally in Indiana they have no issue with leaving the fridge running on propane while going down the road. He even went so far as to say that its good for the unit since it prevents it from struggling to cool once you reach the destination. I know this has been hotly debated for years, Obviously care needs to be taken while refueling your tow vehicle but we also live in a society where I see people smoking next to gas pumps
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                  X