DC - DC Charger Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Your putting me in the poor house - all I have is the free version. I guess I could drop SWMBO or my daughter a hint - maybe for my birthday in January.
    Not worth it just for that one capability IMHO. I'm sure there's many other programs out there that can do something similar, you'll just have to hunt for something. Acrobat X came with a Fujitsu SnapScan scanner I purchased years ago (that is use VERY frequently).

Personally I'd check out LibreOffice's "Draw" program as mentioned in this list of "best of...": https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-pdf-editors-4147622

Regardless, find a free version. No reason to spend the money on the Adobe program.

Probably time to get back on topic, eh?

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

• OK back to the project
      I was looking over my Cole Hersee 24213 12V 200 amp continuous duty solenoid and got to wondering on the wiring. This may sound like a dumb question, BUT...................

Drawing link
      https://www.littelfuse.com/media?res...lename=24213(a)

From the above drawing and picture, the pass through power (2 AWG switch main wire) should be connected to 1 and 4 (big side studs). Either side could be attached to the battery depending on how or where the solenoid gets mounted. The side not connected to the battery goes to the bulkhead plug. Battery side is fused at the battery (100A)

The solenoid activation wires (12-14 awg) are terminals 2 and 3 (small center terminals), but which should be positive (connected to up fitter switch for power) and which should be negative (connected to the truck frame)? Or does it matter? They are not marked or different color. Looking at the schematic it appears the wires just attache to the coil so should work either way - correct?

Just making sure - don't want to let the expensive smoke out.

Thanks Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Yoda

The schematic shows power connected to a coil (connectors 2 and 3). The purpose for the coil (call me Capt Obvious) is to create a magnetic field which engages the relay. Either way the 12vDC flows it will go through a 17.5 ohm load and create the magnetic field. I don't think it's possible to hook it up "backwards"--in other words it doesn't matter. If it did matter there'd be a diode in the circuit or, at minimum, an indication on the component itself. (At least I HOPE that would be the case!)

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	schematic.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	73709
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

• Yoda,

Yes the negative can be grounded to the frame.

Jim

Comment

• Thanks everyone

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Dr Howard is correct. Polarity doesn't matter with a coil. Either way will work.
              On old Ford solenoids, they looked similar to that, but the case was the coil ground and you only had to run the positive signal wire. Kind of surprised that one is not the same. For 100% surety, you could use a meter on ohms and check from small stud to case and in both cases I would expect infinite. If one reads zero, you have a negative post.
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                Dr Howard is correct. Polarity doesn't matter with a coil. Either way will work.
                On old Ford solenoids, they looked similar to that, but the case was the coil ground and you only had to run the positive signal wire. Kind of surprised that one is not the same. For 100% surety, you could use a meter on ohms and check from small stud to case and in both cases I would expect infinite. If one reads zero, you have a negative post.
                Thanks Scott - Ill give that a go and report back

On Edit
                I ohm'ed everything out. All contacts show no connection to the case. The little terminals show a circuit between them as expected.
                I think I am good to go now.
                Last edited by Yoda; 01-07-2022, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• New question on battery connections. I have been viewing lots of videos and pictures on the 2022 F350 6.7 engine bay and other threads on accessory installs. Rob Cate&Rob can you verify that there are the extra posts like the negative post on the driver's battery and the positive post on the passenger battery, but not the others? In other words accessory posts on opposite sides of the engine bay? I guess what I am asking is will I need to run the positive wire to the passenger side to find an accessory post?

I found this post #7 at https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ery-posts.html
                  He tapped the bulge area on the stock battery terminal and added a stainless steel 6MM (1/4"?) bolt from the bottom to create the post? The nut up top acts as a double nut sense he tapped the bolt in. Connection would be made on top of the nut if I understand correctly. I might go with 5/16"-3/8" given my current draw.

Name:	addingbatterypost.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	73785

Folks - what do you think of this idea? I already have everything I would need to do it when the time comes. I am assuming my terminals will have the same bulges in them?

Thanks for any help

Keith

Comment

New question on battery connections. I have been viewing lots of videos and pictures on the 2022 F350 6.7 engine bay and other threads on accessory installs. Rob Cate&Rob can you verify that there are the extra posts like the negative post on the driver's battery and the positive post on the passenger battery, but not the others? In other words accessory posts on opposite sides of the engine bay? I guess what I am asking is will I need to run the positive wire to the passenger side to find an accessory post?

He tapped the bulge area on the stock battery terminal and added a stainless steel 6MM (1/4"?) bolt from the bottom to create the post? The nut up top acts as a double nut sense he tapped the bolt in. Connection would be made on top of the nut if I understand correctly. I might go with 5/16"-3/8" given my current draw.

Folks - what do you think of this idea? I already have everything I would need to do it when the time comes. I am assuming my terminals will have the same bulges in them?

Thanks for any help

Keith

This is what I did on mine. I drilled a hole in the ring terminal and put a bolt through that I double nutted. Works great.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

New question on battery connections. I have been viewing lots of videos and pictures on the 2022 F350 6.7 engine bay and other threads on accessory installs. Rob Cate&Rob can you verify that there are the extra posts like the negative post on the driver's battery and the positive post on the passenger battery, but not the others? In other words accessory posts on opposite sides of the engine bay? I guess what I am asking is will I need to run the positive wire to the passenger side to find an accessory post?

Thanks for any help

Keith
                      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...0311#post10311

Look at the video embedded in the post, Keith.

Comment

• Originally posted by howson View Post

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...0311#post10311

Look at the video embedded in the post, Keith.
                        Thanks Neil ncitro
                        DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's what I get for not watching your video Howard.....Ill go hide in my corner of shame now

Comment

• Yoda

Three of the four battery connections have aux attachment studs. The only one that does not is the positive terminal on the driver’s side battery.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                            Yoda

Three of the four battery connections have aux attachment studs. The only one that does not is the positive terminal on the driver’s side battery.

Rob
                            What was Ford thinking? Is there a reason for it that you can see?

Thanks for looking
                            Keith

BTW still no word on a build date.

Comment

BTW still no word on a build date.
                              That's got to be frustrating...all the research and checking options...finally deciding to lay down the $$$, excited to get the new truck you optioned the way you want..... and then...sit around and wait....

You're going to forget what colour you ordered...lol
                              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

What was Ford thinking? Is there a reason for it that you can see?
                                There is no reason that I can see . . . other than to save 2 cents on a $100,000 truck . . .
                                See attached pictures of the two batteries.

Rob

Attached Files
                                Cate & Rob
                                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X