DC - DC Charger Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Eric on my 04 the fuse block on the drivers side had several open spots. I found in testing that some were always hot and some ignition hot. I was installing and air compressor and needed ignition hot. I used a fuse tap on the hot side and went through a switch and then to the relay. I had the switch in the glove box along with the pressure gauge. It should be very easy to mount a switch on the drivers side lower dash - there may even be a blank spot in the dash, before the relay that powers the DC-DC

Something to think about.
    Keith
    You could add a switch, and admittedly it is nice to have mine on the upfitter switch, but honestly I do not think its needed. I have the relay connection on the Renogy connected to the running lights, so my father in law with the F150 basically need to have it plugged in, truck running, and lights on for it to be on. If it is a short trip and the batteries are full, or we are in full sun he just does not plug it in those days.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• This forum is way better than a crossword puzzle for stimulating my brain and keeping it functioning....
      Erik & Tea
      2021 Reflection 297RSTS
      2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
      ProPride hitch

Comment

• Originally posted by ncitro View Post

You could add a switch, and admittedly it is nice to have mine on the upfitter switch, but honestly I do not think its needed. I have the relay connection on the Renogy connected to the running lights, so my father in law with the F150 basically need to have it plugged in, truck running, and lights on for it to be on. If it is a short trip and the batteries are full, or we are in full sun he just does not plug it in those days.
        The extra switch (to control the relay) provides an additional layer of safety to keep the connector hanging from the back of the truck from being "live" when it shouldn't be powered. At least that's why it was added to the wiring on my setup--I have to take two deliberate actions to get the truck's electrical 12V power active on the DC-DC wiring: turn on the upfitter and (manually, not in auto) turn on the headlights. For the readers of this thread, that may seem like a lot but keep in mind that the wiring (when enabled) is connected to two AGM deep-cycle batteries wired in parallel (the Ford OEM setup).

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

• Is there an advantage to having the relay powered by a switch that does not require the ignition to be on, for example for those who use the rear TV connector as a 12V power supply for pumps and such? Or is that risky?

Erik
          Erik & Tea
          2021 Reflection 297RSTS
          ProPride hitch

Comment

• Popga That depends on the user. If there is no chance of leaving the system powered where it can kill the TV batteries and leave you stranded, then there is not an advantage. The primary reason for the relay and power with key it to hopefully keep the system from drawing power when it's not running.

If it were me, I'd setup the really such that it is on an oil pressure switch or something that only comes on when the engine is actually running. I have really bad luck with Murphy.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by Popga View Post
              This forum is way better than a crossword puzzle for stimulating my brain and keeping it functioning....
              LOL. For many it is harmful to the wallet with all the tool and modifications being done here. All good stuff.

Jim

Comment

• Yoda
                Keith,
                I am gathering all the components for my DC-DC build.
                What drove you to use the braided sleeve to protect your wiring vs the split loom? I do love the braided look.
                Also if you were to do it again, would you still bundle both wires on the TV into one braided sleeve, or go separate?

Erik
                Erik & Tea
                2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                ProPride hitch

Comment

Yoda
                  Keith,
                  I am gathering all the components for my DC-DC build.
                  What drove you to use the braided sleeve to protect your wiring vs the split loom? I do love the braided look.
                  Also if you were to do it again, would you still bundle both wires on the TV into one braided sleeve, or go separate?

Erik
                  Eric - It was the first time using the braided loom and I love the stuff - much more flexible than the rigid split stuff. It's actually easy to install too. I posted the source back in post [HASHTAG="t295"]110[/HASHTAG] - wire source in (best wire available) , but here is the Amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2?ie=UTF8&th=1

The 1.5" (red covering both wires) was the easiest to work with. As for looming the wires together - definitely would do again - made slick work of fishing it through the body to the back. I believe it added good protection to the wire - its tough stuff. It just keeps things neat. Just watch for sharp points you running past - I used some foam tape and padding on any sharp points and secured it tightly to avoid any slop that might create wear points.

Hope this helps
                  Keith

BTW the Cole-Hersey solenoid is working well.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Yoda

Thanks!
                    On the solenoid ground, your post (#227) you checked the ground to make sure it was good. Just verifying my understanding, small lug on solenoid wired to a good ground on the frame...Ya?
                    the mounting bolts of the solenoid are not intended to ground it, correct?

Erik
                    Erik & Tea
                    2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                    ProPride hitch

Comment

Yoda

Thanks!
                      On the solenoid ground, your post (#227) you checked the ground to make sure it was good. Just verifying my understanding, small lug on solenoid wired to a good ground on the frame...Ya?
                      the mounting bolts of the solenoid are not intended to ground it, correct?

Erik
                      I grounded the solenoid (negative coil side) to one of the mounting bolts that secures the solenoid to the frame mount. You can see the ring terminal on the left attachment bolt if you look closely. Not sure on you 05 how Ford has that done, but in general the body/frame are bonded in several locations. I would look for one of the grounding screws or ohm out the location your thinking of.

On the solenoid I used the case is not grounded - separate positive/negative coil terminals. However there are solenoids out there that are case grounded and will only have the positive coil terminal present.
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                      X