No announcement yet.

DC - DC Charger Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott'n'Wendy, It is the insulation that you don't want to compromise by overheating of the wire.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I understand, but the 105*C you mentioned is the insulation rating, not the wire.
      Hogdrv TedS TravelHabit Guest

Just to put this all in perspective. I really appreciate everyone's thought and help.

Due to the fact theRenogy 60A DC-DC unit could pull close to 90A per reports, and after reading the Blue Sea and other ampacity tables, I chose to use 2 AWG cable, good for 100A @ 65' which is about the total run length of the system. Thanks to Jim I am fusing the battery connection.100A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084LZ6D1V/ref=emc_b_5_t. Clean and simple and takes up a lot less space than a breaker. See Scott I followed 1/2 of your advice . Power will then feed through a 200A solenoid rated for continuous duty (switched from up fitter switches) to a bulkhead fitting in the truck bed. The bulkhead will house an SP120 Anderson connector.

Trailer side I will mount the Renogy 60A DC-DC unit to the ceiling of the front bay - only space I really have left. I will still use the 2awg wire back to the kingpin and then along the existing pigtail terminating in another SB120 connector. Going the other way, the output from the DC-DC (2awg) unit will go to an 80A Blue sea 285 series circuit breaker. https://www.bluesea.com/products/718...face_Mount_80A and then to the Lynx power in bar on my system. This bar is directly attached to the batterys.

If I have run the numbers correctly I should be well within the limits of the 2awg welding cable https://temcoindustrial.com/temco-wc...g-50-ft-black/ US made and rated -50C to 105C. I have 50' of black and 50' of red on hand.

Hopefully I have this figured out correctly. I have all the parts I need on hand or ordered. Now the wait for the new truck. Ill do it first and then see if I have enough cable for the trailer side (get more if needed).

I will also be leaving the stock charge line in place in the existing trailer plug. I see no reason to disconnect it. Thoughts?

Hopefully this brings everyone up to speed Again if I messed up somewhere, now is the time to wack me upside the head

Thanks

Keith

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
      Last edited by Yoda; 01-14-2022, 03:30 PM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Sounds like you have a great plan đź‘Ťđź‘Ź, hope your truck gets here soon. I was there this time last year waiting for my truck to show up, I ended up having the 5th wheel show up before the truck, but man was it worth it, I LOVE my truck!

Merry Christmas
        Jim
        Jim and Cindy
        2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
        2021 320G

Comment

• You may want to consider a split loom material or similar to protect the #2 from abrasion?
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

You may want to consider a split loom material or similar to protect the #2 from abrasion?
            I got this stuff to try in 1.25" and 1" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2?ie=UTF8&th=1 along with some rubber coated stainless steel clamps for the truck frame.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Originally posted by TedS View Post
              Scott'n'Wendy, It is the insulation that you don't want to compromise by overheating of the wire.
              The 105*C is for the ambient atmosphere around it, the wire will never cause it to come close to 105*C. It's so you know where you can run the wire. For instance, the lumex wire in your house is rated 90*C, but the wires in your house don't heat up to 90*C when you have a blow dryer going on high or the oven on broil.
              Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 12-12-2021, 10:45 PM.
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              2021 303RLS
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

• Yoda Keith, let me know how that wire protector works and how you get it over the cable.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

• Yoda Keith,

If your running a dedicated 2awg line(s) for your Renogy, disconnect the 7 way charge wire (leave ground in place for lights) since you do not want a dual path in charging or backfeeding to the TV. By doing this, your TV and RV will have complete isolation for charging the RV. You will also be set to reconfigure the Renogy with a few DIP switches for a future lithium conversion.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                    Yoda Keith,

If your running a dedicated 2awg line(s) for your Renogy, disconnect the 7 way charge wire (leave ground in place for lights) since you do not want a dual path in charging or backfeeding to the TV. By doing this, your TV and RV will have complete isolation for charging the RV. You will also be set to reconfigure the Renogy with a few DIP switches for a future lithium conversion.

Jim
                    Yoda -- I did what Jim suggested on my install. The wire is disconnected where the 7-pin wiring (trailer side) joined the OEM wiring. (Snip below taken from my Master diagram.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	disconnected.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	72355
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

• Straight from My lithium Battery maker (SOK)- There is no reason to disconnect the 7-pin even with a DC to DC charger in place. This also powers your emergency brakes if you have electric brakes and is legally required. Also, I spoke with tech support at battleborn about the Victron DC to DC charger. They stated there's no reason to run a ground from the TV battery all the way back to the charger unit in the trailer. They recommended I buy the non-isolated version of the Victron DC to DC charger and ground it to the trailer chassis. I don't believe any back feeding occurs in any current tow vehicle, but cannot confirm. I cannot imagine there isn't a diode preventing this somewhere.
                      Last edited by NickinCO; 12-13-2021, 09:22 AM.
                      2022 Momentum 21G with factory 300w solar and generator
                      2022 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PSD
                      x2 206ah SOK LiFePO4 batteries

Comment

• NickinCO , the emergency brake function requires the trailer battery, not the tow vehicle battery. The 7-pin connection is already pulled apart if the emergency braking is necessary.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

The 105*C is for the ambient atmosphere around it, the wire will never cause it to come close to 105*C. It's so you know where you can run the wire. For instance, the lumex wire in your house is rated 90*C, but the wires in your house don't heat up to 90*C when you have a blow dryer going on high or the oven on broil.
                          Welding wire charts use 40C as the ambient temperature and the current shown is that which will not raise the wire temperature to more than 105C from 40C. That is a 65 degree rise at the chart current.

House wire charts use 30C as the ambient temperature and the current shown is that which will not raise the wire temperature to more than 90C from 30C(86F). That is a 60 degree rise at the chart current. There are derating figures to use to figure ampacity for other ambient temperatures.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

• Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            Yoda Keith, let me know how that wire protector works and how you get it over the cable.
                            It going to be interesting - I already tried some (you scrunch it up like a finger puzzle an it doubles in size). It will take a bit of patience. But I think it can be done. The 1.25 is easier to work with than the one inch. the two 2awg wires measure 0.8 side to side.
                            Keith

Comment

• Originally posted by NickinCO View Post
                              Straight from My lithium Battery maker (SOK)- There is no reason to disconnect the 7-pin even with a DC to DC charger in place. This also powers your emergency brakes if you have electric brakes and is legally required. Also, I spoke with tech support at battleborn about the Victron DC to DC charger. They stated there's no reason to run a ground from the TV battery all the way back to the charger unit in the trailer. They recommended I buy the non-isolated version of the Victron DC to DC charger and ground it to the trailer chassis. I don't believe any back feeding occurs in any current tow vehicle, but cannot confirm. I cannot imagine there isn't a diode preventing this somewhere.
                              Renogy said the exact opposite. They recommend in thier instruction and when I called on wire sizing, to run a separate dedicated circuit. The only consistent ground between the TV and trailer is the 10awg charging wire. Yes the hitch can offer a ground path, but it can be intermittent at times like on a rough road. There is no way 10 awg can handle 60A.

You Victron is a 30A unit and can probably pull more than 30A. It 's possible your 2022 F350 wiring could handle that, but I have not read that far in the online manual yet to know what the charge circuit is rated at.

Theses are just my thoughts on this and I could be wrong.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year

Comment

• Yoda , it makes sense when charging Li batteries at a higher voltage than that for flooded cell batteries to disconnect the B+. The truck batteries may get a slight charge from the dcdc charger output with the higher voltage. The alternator diodes will keep current from going back into the alternator( or maybe that is old school considering today's smart electronics).
                                Ted
                                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                                X