New Cord or Cord Repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cord or Cord Repair?

Well - I think this occurred on a pedestal that I pushed the plug in as far as I could....but it was just shy on the bottom due to the pedestal metal being in the way of the more solid part of the cord (on the insulation). I am guessing it gave a week connection on one post and has caused the discoloration shown in the picture.

If I could buy a plug, would be easy enough to cut off the end and replace. Would just want to make it as water proof and professional looking as possible. Any suggestions?

It is a Furrion Cable - like it really well....for those who think I just need to buy a new one - which one?

The cord still "works" I just don't like anything electrical having discoloration or melting....that's a sign of trouble and it needs replaced!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220624_204806927.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	88633
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

If it works fine I would clean that up with a scotch bright pad or fine sand paper and use it.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I would try the clean up method fist, if you do not get a good solid fit in a know good location, just replace the male end. Standard TT30 should be fine. The entire whip IMHO would be a waste of money and good wiring. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-PowerGr...%2C171&sr=8-26 if you do decide to replace the whip, you could buy the matching male and female ends to make a nice extension chord for the camper.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I would not use that cord until that plug was replaced. It is damaged enough to make it suspect and I wouldnt take the chance on it.
        New male ends are readily available. Be wary of the cheaper ones on Amazon, you get what you pay for with electrical components.
        If you have never replaced a plug its pretty straightforward.
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2024 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas with faux Allison 10 speed. Nellie the Diva, wonder boxer

Comment

Ran into the same issue AGAIN. Pedestal was old and all receptacles were not properly secured in the pedestal...furthermore they were recessed! Cord would not make a good connection....this pedestal ended up having more problems and the breaker in the pedestal was overheating....but anyway...

Does anyone know of a good extender? Looking for the same female plug and male plug that are on the Furrion cable but in one piece that does not bend or have a 90....want a female to male adapter that is a straight pass through.

Basically this: https://www.amazon.com/Journeyman-Pr...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

But would love to find a version where they are already together. This is close, but has the wrong NEMA female connector.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-GNA030-Tw...s%2C314&sr=8-3

Looking for NEMA L5-30R to L5-30P

Would rather not buy the "extensions" as those are a different plug...
          2020 Imagine 2400BH
          2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Like this?
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I used a similar one to extend my 50-amp EMS so it would hang straight.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                Like this?
                Yes...can you send a link?

I used a similar one to extend my 50-amp EMS so it would hang straight.
                Can you provide a link as well?

​​​​​​​Thanks to you both!
                2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Camco 30-amp extender.
                  https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55256-3...70777191&psc=1
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Progressive 50-amp extender.
                    https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com...BoC1sIQAvD_BwE
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

UGG More of my meager funds to be spent
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thank you sir! Will be buying one shortly.
                        2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Thanks just what I've been looking for.
                          2021 Reflection 315RLTS 2012 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD SRW Soon to be retired

Comment

To the original question, replace the plug with a new one. No reason to replace the cord.
                            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            2021 303RLS
                            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
                            X