No announcement yet.

Winterization Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is curious that some need to manually depress the check valve (by turning the screen over) and others do not. The water or antifreeze is flowing in the same direction from outside to inside. The difference being whether it is pushed in by outside pressure or pulled in by pump suction. I wonder if the difference has to do with blowing out or draining the water before introducing the antifreeze? If the pump hits a pocket of air, it probably can't develop enough suction to pull open the check valve. Has anybody encountered the need to hold open the check valve when using the on-board pump to fill the water tank if the rest of the plumbing system has not been drained ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Has anybody encountered the need to hold open the check valve when using the on-board pump to fill the water tank if the rest of the plumbing system has not been drained ?
      Normally I fill my water tank from a pressurized source. I think the only scenario other than winterization where the pump pulls in unpressurized water is with the Nautilus set to "Sanitize". I've never tried it.

Might be a bit OT, but if there was a manual fill opening to the fresh water tank, couldn't the Sanitize, Winterize, and Power Fill settings go away on the Nautilus? Get the fluid you want in the fresh water tank (antifreeze, bleached water, etc) and then use the Dry Camping setting to run the liquid wherever you want it. Having a manual fill opening would make it easier, too, when there isn't a pressurized water source available.
      Last edited by howson; 11-03-2019, 11:47 AM.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Normally I fill my water tank from a pressurized source. I think the only scenario other than winterization where the pump pulls in unpressurized water is with the Nautilus set to "Sanitize". I've never tried it.

Might be a bit OT, but if there was a manual fill opening to the fresh water tank, couldn't the Sanitize, Winterize, and Power Fill settings go away on the Nautilus? Get the fluid you want in the fresh water tank (antifreeze, bleached water, etc) and then use the Dry Camping setting to run the liquid wherever you want it. Having a manual fill opening would make it easier, too, when there isn't a pressurized water source available.

Same here . . . I have only filled the water tank from a pressurized source. I did try the fill from a jug through the on-board pump . . . only to prove to myself that it worked, after my system rebuild. This is basically the same as the sanitize process.

The problem with putting the antifreeze into the fresh water tank is 1) Some don't like to introduce antifreeze into their tank (or water heater) and 2) Not every pick-up tube goes as close to the bottom of the tank as yours does. I would have to put several gallons of antifreeze into the tank before I could draw any out. But, I agree that having a manual fill option would be a good idea. I wonder why some GDRV products have this (Imagine and Transcend I think) but Reflection, Solitude and Momentum do not ?

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It is curious that some need to manually depress the check valve (by turning the screen over) and others do not. The water or antifreeze is flowing in the same direction from outside to inside. The difference being whether it is pushed in by outside pressure or pulled in by pump suction. I wonder if the difference has to do with blowing out or draining the water before introducing the antifreeze? If the pump hits a pocket of air, it probably can't develop enough suction to pull open the check valve. Has anybody encountered the need to hold open the check valve when using the on-board pump to fill the water tank if the rest of the plumbing system has not been drained ?

Rob
          what I find curious is that I never had to depress the check valve before. I have added water to the tank this way many times, and I've winterized with antifreeze 3 or 4 times before. I don't understand what difference there was this fall, but I couldn't get the antifreeze started until I flipped the screen. I always have the jug in the storage bin, so no change in elevation. I'm glad Howard explained about the check valve.
          Dave
          2016 Reflection 27RL
          2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
          B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Howard - you are very correct. I have no clue as to why GD does not have a manual fill on the water tank. Now on my unit the slide is on the drivers side and in the way of the water tank, and I have yet to see a trailer with fill location on the passenger side. However they could have run a fill tube forward to the nautilus panel location or just beside it. Might be a good question for the Grand Design folks - would solve their water draining while traveling too. It would be simple to do too.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Same here . . . I have only filled the water tank from a pressurized source. I did try the fill from a jug through the on-board pump . . . only to prove to myself that it worked, after my system rebuild. This is basically the same as the sanitize process.

The problem with putting the antifreeze into the fresh water tank is 1) Some don't like to introduce antifreeze into their tank (or water heater) and 2) Not every pick-up tube goes as close to the bottom of the tank as yours does. I would have to put several gallons of antifreeze into the tank before I could draw any out. But, I agree that having a manual fill option would be a good idea. I wonder why some GDRV products have this (Imagine and Transcend I think) but Reflection, Solitude and Momentum do not ?

Rob
              Rob,

The Imagine does have a gravity fill. It is very convenient when dry camping but to be able to fill with the pump would be handy.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Rob,

The Imagine does have a gravity fill. It is very convenient when dry camping but to be able to fill with the pump would be handy.

Jim
                I guess the Reflection/Solitude/Momentum are considered "glampers", thus why put a gravity fill port on them?

As I suspected, I took this thread OT. Let's get back to the topic at hand--winterization.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

As I suspected, I took this thread OT. Let's get back to the topic at hand--winterization.
                  I winterized mine yesterday by turning off the air conditioner....

Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I winterized mine yesterday by turning off the air conditioner....
                    I was resisting the urge to say something funny... but you blew it for me, Jim! I was going to say that we winterized by driving 1,200 miles south.

Rob
                    Rob & Laura
                    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Thanks to those who shared the trick of flipping the screen around in the city water connector! We had struggled with winterizing our 2019 Reflection 32MKS for the first time and even tech support just advised us to call Grand Design and document the problem in case we couldn't get it properly done and something happens this winter. A few minutes on this forum, found that hack, and we were in business. All winterized and properly stowed till next season. Thanks!

George and Becky and our dog Tiberius
                      2019 Reflection 32MKS
                      2015 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali

Comment

We have a 2023 Reflection 150 series. Been disappointed trying to get it winterized. Over the years, I have watched RVs get more unnecessarily complicated, with poor documentation. Every youtube has a 4 or 5 valve Nautilus system. Ours has 3. Couldn't get syphon to work today. Will try reversing screen. Very disappointed with new RV documentation. May buy secondary pump, and force antifreeze into the system.

Comment

Reversing the screen works great. Pump manufacturers claim a water lift capacity up to 9 feet. That's only about 4 psi, it takes at least 5 psi to open the inlet check valve.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by wsBenge View Post
                            We have a 2023 Reflection 150 series. Been disappointed trying to get it winterized. Over the years, I have watched RVs get more unnecessarily complicated, with poor documentation. Every youtube has a 4 or 5 valve Nautilus system. Ours has 3. Couldn't get syphon to work today. Will try reversing screen. Very disappointed with new RV documentation. May buy secondary pump, and force antifreeze into the system.
                            I had a hard time, too, when I first attempted to winterize my rig. Ultimately I ended up making a "pump in a box" which I've used for both winterizing and adding fresh water to the tank easy in boondocking situations. See https://gdrvowners.com/tools-parts-o...f-grid-camping

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

If you read the pump manufacturer's winterizing procedure, they want you to remove the water lines from the pump. Easy enough to do once you access the pump since these connections release with pull tabs . . . but do the "air only" guys do this?
                              Old thread, but thought I'd answer Cate&Rob
                              I never have. Just run the pump dry for ten seconds or so. If it gets above freezing here in the next few days I'll take those lines off and see what kind of water is there.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                              2021 303RLS
                              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

General question to the group - how cold does it have to be to require the winterizing process? Is it below freezing? I thought tanks are insulated and it’s a four season trailer. Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                                X