Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Jim
    The wet bolts in my MoRyde kit are clearly marked grade 5 (three hash marks on the head) the head is also stamped QP The Q could be for Q.S.N. INDUSTRIES, INC.​ but not sure. Neither the nut or bushings appear to have any identification marks. The nut is pinched at the top to make it a slightly deformed thread locking nut.

Keith
    Keith,

Grade 5 will have a proof load of 85K psi, yield strength of 92K psi and tensile strength of 120k psi. The grade 5 is better for cyclic loading and will not be too brittle for the pounding it takes in our suspensions. Especially with the bushing being worn out. So this makes sense....thank you. Our rig is not stored near by.

I hope folks do not contemplate modifying this pin since this would change the design for its intended purpose. And in this case, winging it with assumptions could end badly.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Yoda - Just remember that LCI wants you to inspect your suspension annually.

In their master manual, the state the following "Inspect all components of the suspension system annually or every 36,000 miles, whichever comes first."

Then they go on to state that part of this maintenance includes a complete suspension tear down and inspection of bushings, equalizer, etc.

See page 25 of the attached manual.
      https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...0001573-02.pdf

I've never known anyone to comply with this edict, and I think the folks who wrote this have no clue about real life maintenance, or they just wrote it to cover themselves.

Jim
      LOL Jim
      Someone wrote that to provide back end $$$$$$$ for maintenance. Good thing I have Dexter everything. But even Dexter is quiet on a maintenance schedule except for annual bearing repack maintenance. I need to dig into the EZ-Flex manual and spring resources to see what they have. I would guess every year visually inspect and grease, and maybe a 25K tear down. I wonder if You-Tube has some inspection tips that might work like raising a tire and tugging on it for bearing end play. I put over 30000 mines on my old trailer and did non of this - just drove. Maybe not knowing is a good thing. But it was built like a tank, except for the wood framing.

Will this be a topic at the national rally - maybe actually do a trailer?

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I put over 30000 mines on my old trailer and did non of this - just drove. Maybe not knowing is a good thing.

Keith
        There is a reason for the phrase "Ignorance is bliss"

Speaking of Rally's...We are going to be at the Quartzsite rally in 6 weeks or so.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          There is a reason for the phrase "Ignorance is bliss"

Speaking of Rally's...We are going to be at the Quartzsite rally in 6 weeks or so.
          Let's just hope that we have warmer temperatures than we had last year. Several mornings were in the mid-20s.

Yoda I was looking for info on Dexter maintenance, and came across their "Light Duty, 600 to 8K complete service manual". I'll add a link below. They have a maintenance table that actually makes sense. One of the highlights is that they actually say to grease the wet bolts every 3,000 miles (or three months).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet Bolts.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	103102

https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

As ridiculous as “tear down and inspect every year” sounds . . . I have disassembled my suspension at least 5 times in the 8 years we have owned this rig. For a lot of different reasons of my own doing. Changing springs, changing equalizers, changing bushings . . . and so on. At every teardown the bushings were trashed. Different spring manufacturers, OE plastic bushings, Never Fail plastic bushings, bronze bushings. Didn’t matter. Sometimes only 5000 miles between tear downs. The problem is the incredibly sloppy fit of trailer suspension components. I can see how an LCI engineer would advise that their suspension system has to be rebuilt every year.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Freedom from liability. A poorly designed system that is torn down annually is less likely to fail. Don't tear it down before each season and the owner owns it.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                As ridiculous as “tear down and inspect every year” sounds . . . I have disassembled my suspension at least 5 times in the 8 years we have owned this rig.
                I don't find that surprising at all...
                All the while the engineer in you screaming "just how cheaply can a suspension be made!!!"

Did you have any issue with the knurl opening up the hanger bolt hole from removing and inserting new bolts?

Just FYI, and not disagreeing with you, just a personal story, Dexter does not, or did not at the time suggest the same as Lippert re: the tear down. After my ez lube kit had been installed for a while, my memory thinks 7 years but maybe 5....I called Dexter about replacement of the wet bolt equalizers etc. The person I talked to said there is no replacement time/miles recommendation, the equalizer will not wear out, just grease it. As for suspension inspection, just check for excessive movement at the bolts and check hangers. I took one shackle/spring pair out and the bushings looked good to me, so for the rest I just exercised the suspension and checked for movement. All seemed good. When I traded that trailer in on the 303 in 2020, it was still riding on the 2011 bushings.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  just check for excessive movement at the bolts and check hangers.
                  I have always wondered what “excessive” is . . . when the 1 3/4” long bushing is placed in a 2” wide hanger by design. .

I also wonder if the bushing wear that I have seen is made worse by the tall “Correct Track” hangers that I have. This does not seem to translate into uneven tire wear and I do have the V Clip braces to reinforce the hangers.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have always wondered what “excessive” is . . .
                    Yes, very subjective

Comment

I have always wondered what “excessive” is . . . when the 1 3/4” long bushing is placed in a 2” wide hanger by design. .

I also wonder if the bushing wear that I have seen is made worse by the tall “Correct Track” hangers that I have. This does not seem to translate into uneven tire wear and I do have the V Clip braces to reinforce the hangers.

Rob
                      Rob - now you have me curious as to the hanger thickness. If it is 1/4" then the wet bolts I have will fit exactly with little no slop with the 1.75" springs. They have an inside dimension of 2.25" bolt inside face to lock nut inside face. kernel section is 1/4". With bushing being 1.75" that leaves 1/4" for the pin to extend through the hanger to the face. There might be 1/16" or less slop. I am attaching photos.

Question - would using shims on each side of the spring for a snug fit in the hanger be beneficial? Might hold and distribute the grease better. As the bolt is 1/2"dia finding shins should not be a problem - in fact I may have them in my stock of tractor supplies. otherwise I know Tractor Supply carry's them.

Name:	IMG_1371s.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	103118 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1372s.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	103119

Name:	IMG_1373s.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	103120

Thoughts
                      Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Hi Keith

The critical "assembly condition" is that the nut be torqued against the shoulder of the bolt . . . not the hanger. LCI accomplishes this by allowing the hanger to bend in from its free inside width of 2". The LCI hanger material is less than 1/4". Attached is a drawing that I made of a Correct Track LCI hanger and a picture of the clearance left after the nut is torqued against the shoulder. I also tried shim washers, but because the LCI hanger sides bend in, they are no longer parallel to each other, I was worried that I would create a stack up that prevented the nut from reaching the shoulder.

It is quite likely that your shorter Dexter hangers are a tighter tolerance to the 1.75" bushing length and spring width. And perhaps your hanger are .25" thick ??

Rob

2015 Reflection Spring Hanger.pdf

Name:	IMG_1647.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	103125
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yoda Keith, If the inside of the hanger is 2" as stated by rob, then the bolt you are showing is short. I would not think you want to put the hanger into bending when tightening the nut.

Now they may have that much play in the hanger to minimize harmonic fatigue by allowing the spring to "float" between the hangers minimizing side loading during normal travel.

If you are wishing to retain the grease, how about a soft rubber washer vs hard metal? That allows for some forgiveness, even foam may be acceptable.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

It is quite likely that your shorter Dexter hangers are a tighter tolerance to the 1.75" bushing length and spring width. And perhaps your hanger are .25" thick ??
                            Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought on our trailers, that the frames were all made by LCI, and that included the hangers. Where Dexter could come into play is at the axle and springs. I could be wrong though, so I thought I would ask. . I am fairly certain though all my hangers were stamped​​​​​​ with 'LCI'

​​​​​​Yoda Perhaps use the parts lookup page to get the specs on the OEM shoulder bolts? Using that page for my Imagine, it shows 2.32" for the length of the bolt, which aligns with your measurements above. Just a thought.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/39464
                            2019 Imagine 2400BH
                            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Yoda Hi Keith

The critical "assembly condition" is that the nut be torqued against the shoulder of the bolt . . . not the hanger. LCI accomplishes this by allowing the hanger to bend in from its free inside width of 2". The LCI hanger material is less than 1/4". Attached is a drawing that I made of a Correct Track LCI hanger and a picture of the clearance left after the nut is torqued against the shoulder. I also tried shim washers, but because the LCI hanger sides bend in, they are no longer parallel to each other, I was worried that I would create a stack up that prevented the nut from reaching the shoulder.

Rob

[ATTACH]n103124[/ATTACH]

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1647.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.9 KB ID:	103125
                              Jlawles2 StephenO

Stephen you are correct the frame is Lippert, and depending on the year and unit it could be Lipperts springs and axles, or later Dexter.

Rob - just so you know you made me go out in the cold and crawl through the snow to get under my rig. What I found is interesting. I do have the correct length bolts for the spring hangers and Ez-Flex. I confirmed that with MoRyde. I found I do have a gap as you show.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1374s.jpg Views:	6 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	103134 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1379s.jpg Views:	6 Size:	116.2 KB ID:	103135
                              Drivers side rear spring hanger. Gap is a fat 1/8" However spring width is shy about 1/16 from being a full 1.75" wide.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1376s.jpg Views:	6 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	103136 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1375s.jpg Views:	6 Size:	110.1 KB ID:	103137
                              Spring hanger is 2" wide inside at top and 1.75" wide (compressed) at the spring connection. I am pretty sure the nut is against the bolt flange and given the varying thickness give the slop gap is created.

As I am replacing the springs I should have the opportunity to fine tune this gap using some type of shims an or even o-rings against the bushing to maintain a quasi grease seal that will not interfere with the nut to bolt face contact. I have a selection of nitrile ones that might work - for a while.

Hopefully I have not side tracked the original intent of this thread, but if I am rebuilding I want to do it right.

Keith
                              Last edited by Yoda; 01-14-2023, 01:56 PM.

Comment

but if I am rebuilding I want to do it right.

Keith
                                Then, in my opinion, don't add spacers..either metal or rubber, use quality replacement parts and change like for like. I would stick with EZ-flex but if you prefer mor-ryde go with that. But don't try to re-engineer. Those loose tolerances work. You're not auto-crossing the trailer after all.

Comment

Working...
                                X