Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who sources the wet bolts? All four fail (two snap, two getting ready to)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't hit anything, no prior suspension work, no off-roading except for a couple of Harvest Host locations parking lots.

Rear springs have to be replaced as the bushing holes on one side are too large for a new bushing and he'd replace both sides. He still has to check the front. So on the rear hangers, bolts, springs. I'm trying to source replacement springs and a place to get them installed in Montana/Idaho area. Will also be replacing the front bolts/bushings as well.

The bushings are supposed to be pressed in by Dexter. No sign of any bushing remnants on the rear and they simply didn't disappear - should have left some kind of residue in the grease. Two possibilities, they either totally disintegrated or weren't pressed in from the start though Lippert says they won't cover anything after reviewing the photos sent to them, the cause was a shock load. News to me - didn't feel anything in the truck. When he checks the front bushings, we may get a better idea.

More to come and may only have a temp repair until the springs are replaced​ but can tow for a bit, just not all the way back yet.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

Regarding shock loads. I'm very curious how much shock these units actually see. I have a bent axle spindle I'm dealing with right now. I'll change it out in Elkhart next week. I've put on about 5000 miles since June. Some of the interstates I've driven on have just been horrendous. I-10 in Arizona and I-80 in Illinois have been the worst so far.

During my working years, I'd frequently instrument missiles to measure shock loads during ground transportation. I need to mount an accelerometer on one of these axles and record the G-forces these units actually see during our travels.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        Regarding shock loads. I'm very curious how much shock these units actually see. I have a bent axle spindle I'm dealing with right now. I'll change it out in Elkhart next week. I've put on about 5000 miles since June. Some of the interstates I've driven on have just been horrendous. I-10 in Arizona and I-80 in Illinois have been the worst so far.

During my working years, I'd frequently instrument missiles to measure shock loads during ground transportation. I need to mount an accelerometer on one of these axles and record the G-forces these units actually see during our travels.

Jim
        For SA, the Dexter PN for these axles is 072-100-01. I had a local Dexter supplier call them directly and they no longer track this number or manufacture the part. Etrailer has a 072-079-00 Dexter number which comes up when you search for 072-100-01 but Dexter no longer tracks this PN or manufactures or has a replacement.

You are correct - the interstate system is a mess. I-90 in the east is pitiful and I could go on.
        2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
          I10 should have a name change to lunar surface of the moon......
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

TucsonJim Jim, If you choose to put a G-Force meter on the axle you might be either amazingly surprised or overwhelmed by what you find out. I don't know if a GoPro would survive, but some of the new ones have accelerometers in them. Although the non stop jarring may just explode the camera, either way I bet the camera footage would make a great opening for a horror movie in FPV.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

GD tech pulled chocks after replacing the wet bolts and two rear hangers - all he could do. All four springs need to be replaced. Maybe I could get 400 miles with the oversized spring eye holes in the rear in which you can push bushings in and out with ease and the current oval shape of the spring eye holes and worn bushings in the front springs. Wear item according to LCI. Trying to source springs now.

Comment

I don’t disagree that the bushings should be a snug fit to both the spring eye and the bolt . . . but . . . I would suggest that many (most?) RVs are being towed about with springs that are a loose fit because the bushings are significantly worn. Whether the loose fit is to the OD or the ID of the bushing should not make a difference although this loose fit will contribute to the bushing wearing more quickly. I would expect that you can travel much further than 400 miles on new bushings that are a slightly loose fit.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  I don’t disagree that the bushings should be a snug fit to both the spring eye and the bolt . . . but . . . I would suggest that many (most?) RVs are being towed about with springs that are a loose fit because the bushings are significantly worn. Whether the loose fit is to the OD or the ID of the bushing should not make a difference although this loose fit will contribute to the bushing wearing more quickly. I would expect that you can travel much further than 400 miles on new bushings that are a slightly loose fit.

Rob
                  You are probably correct since the front spring holes were distorted and a new bushing could not be pressed in but they had 15K miles on them. I think we were pretty close to losing an axle or suffering a blow out since we were really riding on three tires. In our case the bolt holes in the hangers were so enlarged, no new bolt would securely keep the spring in the hanger and the whole process would be repeated again. On all the other bolts he changed, the splines were completely worn down, the bolts had wear gouges in them, and the existing bushings were oval and damaged on each end. It's a wear item as LCI has stated officially for us.

I don't think anyone can put a time or mileage estimate to failure. The GD factory tech was pretty clear that he the springs needed to be changed before we could get home but at least he was able to replace the hangers. I think the 400 miles only popped up because that was our next extended stop at West Yellowstone and we might be able to find a location close by that could replace the springs since we are having difficulties finding a shop where we currently are. But I also don't want to destroy the new hangers that he just installed and rinse repeat the whole process.

Comment

ajg617 Spring replacement is a straightforward process with no special tools or skills needed. See if you can find replacements online (try Lippert or Etrailer) and have them shipped to you. Then you just need to find a shop to do it once you have the springs.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                      ajg617 Spring replacement is a straightforward process with no special tools or skills needed. See if you can find replacements online (try Lippert or Etrailer) and have them shipped to you. Then you just need to find a shop to do it once you have the springs.
                      Grand Design is overnighting the springs. I'm having a problem finding a shop that can change them anytime soon. The preferred place also wants to source their own springs (they don't stock the 8K versions) for warranty/liability purposes and the other place I've located is booked solid until a week from Monday. May drive to their locations and pay a personal visit to plead my case. Works better than phone calls.

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post

Grand Design is overnighting the springs. I'm having a problem finding a shop that can change them anytime soon. The preferred place also wants to source their own springs (they don't stock the 8K versions) for warranty/liability purposes and the other place I've located is booked solid until a week from Monday. May drive to their locations and pay a personal visit to plead my case. Works better than phone calls.
                        I broke one in Denver and had a small little mom and pop automotive shop replace it. They even called Napa and matched the spring and have it brought over. We were down for maybe 90 minutes. I now carry a spare lol (does not help when you need all four). If you are at all handy you can replace them yourself, you would just need some sockets a ratchet strap and a jack.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I broke one in Denver and had a small little mom and pop automotive shop replace it. They even called Napa and matched the spring and have it brought over. We were down for maybe 90 minutes. I now carry a spare lol (does not help when you need all four). If you are at all handy you can replace them yourself, you would just need some sockets a ratchet strap and a jack.
                          Well, maybe that's why GD is sending 6 I don't think my body is up to it anymore - frustrating because I used to do all my own repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post

Well, maybe that's why GD is sending 6 I don't think my body is up to it anymore - frustrating because I used to do all my own repairs.
                            Understand that completely. All I can suggest is keep trying shops. I am sure there is one out there that will do the change. Its basic mechanical skills, nothing tricky for them at all.

Neil Citro

Comment

Well this saga gets even more interesting. Got a call from the mobile tech who first came out on Monday saying I wouldn't believe that he had just received a call from a 2022 Momentum (built same time frame as ours) owner about 25 miles from here and stuck on the side of the road with broken wet bolt and rear spring (same side) disconnected. Tech made temporary repairs and they are now staying at a park about 3 miles from here and stopped over since I had some extra wet bolts. Same exact symptom - didn't know anything was wrong but couldn't get his mirrors adjusted properly and when they pulled over on the side and when he checked, spring flopping in the breeze. He also has the 8K axles. That is now 3 in this same area in the last week.

Comment

Picture of the GD mobile tech welded hanger(s) and wondering what to patch the coroplast with temporarily and what a permanent fix would be? Read the thread on the zipper pocket, but wasn't sure if that is appropriate here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coroplast.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	119283

Comment

Working...
                                X