Dexter axles undersized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexter axles undersized?

I am the second owner of my 2019 Imagine 19SLE. 2023 season was our first time out since we purchased it in Sept. 22. While in the upper peninsula of Michigan I noticed how much wear had occurred on the left rear tire. Also noticed from the very beginning the vial in the front {even when parked on a flat slab} was always out of level. Closer attention to the axles tracking around corners or uneven ground rose more suspicions that something was wrong. When we got back home immediately drove to the dealership where we purchased it. The technician came out to inspect and responded with the axle is bent. Further follow up with an alignment check which resulted in a twisted axle, and two flat springs. Dealership submitted for warranty coverage, denied, based on wear and tear. The five year warranty was still in effect. Not only that but the axles are underrated by 300#. Based on the tags on the axles and corresponding with the trailer tag for proper loading and cargo weights.
    The cost to perform this repair is thousands of dollars.
    I have to pay for it. I am going to do the work. I have the equipment and practical skills to complete the repair.
    Why put back in the same rated axle and have the same issue again.
    I want to bump it up to 3500#. Any issues with that conversion?
    Don't agree with the reasons for being turned down on axles that were under warranty. I also have to replace two tires that only had about 10,000 miles on them.
    Another lesson learned.

I've had to deal with bent axles several times. I attribute mine to road hazards bending the spindle.

Is it actually a 19SLE or a 19RLE?

But I'm intrigued by your comment that the axle tags show one rating, while the loading placard shows something else. Can you please post photos of the placard that shows the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) from the side of the trailer, and then post a photo of both axle tags?

I'd like to follow up on this when I see the photos.

Thanks,

Jim - Moderator
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Correction 19RLE
      Lol! I have to figure out how to attach pics.

Comment

The axle capacity of the trailer can be less than the total weight of the trailer as they figure some goes to the tow vehicle.

I think you have to get a few post before you can attach pictures. Since I run a MAC and company supplies me with an iPhone, I just message myself the pics. Copy the pic using Command+C and paste into the body of the message. Otherwise you can use the upload attachments button below the reply box.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

GVWR of 5695 if the online listing is correct, so I’m guessing it has 2400lb axles to be 300lb below gross rating. 5125lb on the suspension at GVWR
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Agree with others that it is common to size the axles to less than the GVWR of the trailer and let the tongue weight carry the difference. I would suggest a trip to the scales to see how much weight your axles are actually carrying and go from there. I also replaced mine, as you stated its not a complicated job and a ton can be saved doing the labor yourself. Roads are terrible, we average 10-15k miles a year, and worn and bent axles are part of the price of this life unfortunately. Yoda has a great thread on his replacement process. He put a lot of effort into researching tube thicknesses and choosing a replacement. It was a larger trailer than yours, so the sizes will not carry over directly, but the process and learnings may be helpful:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ssion-and-help

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...t-step-by-step
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (1).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	124168Here are the pics of the axle and trailer tag
              Thanks, Tony
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pics. Your axles are not "undersized". Your GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) is 2,500#. Your axle tags indicate 2,500#.

The combined carrying weight of the two axles is 5,000#. Your GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is 5,395 pounds. A properly loaded travel trailer should have a minimum tongue weigh of 10% of trailer weight.

Let's say you load your trailer to the maximum weight of 5,395 pounds. 10% of that is 540 pounds. 5,395 - 540 = 4,855 pounds which does not exceed the axle weight rating if the weight is spread evenly.

Can you go to a larger axle. You sure can. It won't change the weight capacities of the trailer due to legal considerations, but it may give you more of a buffer in case one of your wheel positions is bearing more weight than it should. The downside is that it may make the ride a little rougher in the trailer which can cause it's own problems.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                  Thanks for the pics. Your axles are not "undersized". Your GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) is 2,500#. Your axle tags indicate 2,500#.

The combined carrying weight of the two axles is 5,000#. Your GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is 5,395 pounds. A properly loaded travel trailer should have a minimum tongue weigh of 10% of trailer weight.

Let's say you load your trailer to the maximum weight of 5,395 pounds. 10% of that is 540 pounds. 5,395 - 540 = 4,855 pounds which does not exceed the axle weight rating if the weight is spread evenly.

Can you go to a larger axle. You sure can. It won't change the weight capacities of the trailer due to legal considerations, but it may give you more of a buffer in case one of your wheel positions is bearing more weight than it should. The downside is that it may make the ride a little rougher in the trailer which can cause it's own problems.

Jim
                  Jim, would larger axles by themselves cause a rougher ride if you stayed with the same capacity leaf springs?
                  Nels & Vanessa
                  2022 Reflection 31MB
                  2022 Chevy 3500 4x4 SRW Standard Bed Duramax, BW OEM non slider hitch custom 7000 axles w dual panhard rods and G rated tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Avalanche9698 View Post
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	124168Here are the pics of the axle and trailer tag
                    Thanks, Tony
                    Call or email that tag picture to Dexter customer service and get the actual build sheet. As you have 2 axles send pictures of both tag. The sheet will give you exactly what they provided including axles, spring, brakes etc, The big issue is axle tube thickness as the wall thickness is the same through 5200 lb It my opinion the tubes are bending and not the spindle 3500 might work, but I think you could go to a 4200 lb with lighter springs. Either the 3500 or 4400 will give you slightly larger brakes. Here is the Dexter catalog on thier axles.https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...LIT-122-00.pdf the main Dexter site is here https://www.dexteraxle.com/Products/
                    Its a lot of information to absorb, but with it you can compare parts availability. On thing that missing is axle tube thickness and tube size.

The folks that really helped me and had a fair pricing was Iron Bear Trailer https://ironbeartrailer.com/ They are a Dexter dealer and might have what you need in stock. Talk to Chad or Brad (800) 865-0339​. They will be able to advise and tell you what wall thickness is available. Ill bet a cup of Coffee then when you get the build sheet back from Dexter it will say light tube - if possible you want heavy wall but talk with Iron bear first. Also the never adjust brakes are nice to have. If you do order see if they will throw in a couple of spare bearing and seal sets. I got 4 spare seals. They carry Timken bearings so you know and can supply the axles with Timken bearings over what Dexter sends. It a bit of a pricey up charge but is available..

Hope this helps
                    Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
                      On of the things I did research in going bigger is checking spring compression rates, between my stock 2200 lb 4 leaf springs (4400K axle) and my 3000 lb 6 leaf springs (6K axle) The initial compression rate on the first 3 leaves is the same or very close, so for normal travel the ride is about same - at least from what I have seen inside. Now granted on rougher roads it can stiffen up more. I have seen that too - mostly in the fridge.. I have just learned to pack differently. The extra axle weight is unsprung and I believe the trailer is more solid on the ground. Just my opinion. and it really depends on the springs and if you can find the compression information. I had to call the plant in Texas and got lucky an engineer was around.

Hope this helps.

BTW have you learned to back the new rig up yet? Its a bit different.
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by nprario View Post

Jim, would larger axles by themselves cause a rougher ride if you stayed with the same capacity leaf springs?
                        Axles, no, they are just unsprung weight, ...springs, yes. Heavier springs would make the trailer 'box' have a rougher ride. As in you may have drawers jarred open and or stuff moved/bounced around inside.
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by nprario View Post

No, they wouldn't. But Tony is reporting that he also has two flat springs. So if he upsizes the axles, I'd assume the same for the springs.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                          X