Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I really need to use a torque wrench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I really need to use a torque wrench?

I know it's important to check that my RV lug nuts are tight before each trip. I check all of them before I start driving each time. I've been using a torque wrench, but I've been wondering if I can just hit each lug nut with a battery powered impact wrench to make sure they are tight? My impact produces max torque that is within GD's torque specifications in my user manual. Would save some time and effort using the impact.
    Last edited by zibberfitchy; 12-31-2021, 12:12 PM.
    David
    2022 GD Imagine 2910BH
    2018 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4 w/max tow package

No. You will not know if you are at torque or beyond. Using a final hammering is not a good idea.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by zibberfitchy View Post
      I know it's important to check that my RV lug nuts are tight before each trip. I check all of them before I start driving each time. I've been using a torque wrench, but I've been wondering if I can just hit each lug nut with a battery powered impact wrench to make sure they are tight? Would save some time and effort.
      I think the issue you'll run into is knowing how much torque the impact has put onto the lug. This is why you'll read on other automotive forums references to how many 'Ugga Duggas' did you hear? The more of them you hear, the more torque . My 2¢, use a torque wrench, that way you know much torque has been applied and you don't run the risk of busting the lug or stud, and personally I avoid tire shops that use impact guns when putting wheels on for that reason. Same with shops that don't tell you to re-torque your wheels. Why don't they tell you? Probably because they beat the snot out of your wheels with an impact gun and there is zero chance they'll come loose, including when you have a flat ​​​​​
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I know it's important to check that my RV lug nuts are tight before each trip. I check all of them before I start driving each time. I've been using a torque wrench, but I've been wondering if I can just hit each lug nut with a battery powered impact wrench to make sure they are tight? My impact produces max torque that is within GD's torque specifications in my user manual. Would save some time and effort using the impact.
        Stick with the torque wrench - it is much more accurate, you will know the numbers and have peace of mind. . Think of it this way - my Discount tire store uses and impact wrench with torque limit bar, then the torque wrench, then drives the truck around thier lot twice, then rechecks using the torque wrench while I am getting in. Would they go to that trouble if just using the impact driver would do the same? I have the click type from Harbor Freight - easy to carry with me.

Happy New Year
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

The accuracy of an impact wrench is anywhere from 30% to 50%. The expected time saved isn't worth being so wrong.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

For what it's worth, and because we are good at spending everyone else's money , pickup a torque wrench that has a high enough range to torque the bolts on your hitch head. At the beginning of last season, I found the bolts on our hitch needed a little bit of tightening; nothing crazy, but at least I knew they were good.
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

After you've done it a few times you will develop a sense of what 100 lb/ft feels like to your arm. The torque number doesn't have to be precise in this application. The main reasons to not use a torque wrench is because 1. the torque wrench is hard to read at those low positional angles 2. most torque wrenches found in most home tool boxes are cheap and have been abused, and therefore are inaccurate 3. speed. If all you want to do is make sure none are loose, just use a good long (but not too long) breaker bar, give each one the bump that "feels" to you like "around" 100 lb/ft, and then get going. Not rocket surgery.

Most folks who've been wrenching on their cars for a few decades knows what 100 lbs/ft feels like.
              Ruth and Patrick
              2022 Transcend 200MK
              2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

Comment

I use a torque wrench when I have it but I also travel with a 1/2" breaker bar and a Craftsmen 1/2 drive impact with 3/4 deepwell impact socket. I have checked the torque many many times after using my impact and the breaker bar and am typically within 5 ft lbs of my goal, well within the allowable range called out by Dexter, 100-120 ft/lb

My Impact typically produces 90 ft/lb with a fully charged battery. If the battery is towards the end of its recharge cycle it will drop slightly. I do the final torque with my breaker bar or my torque wrench if its available.
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2024 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas with faux Allison 10 speed. Nellie the Diva, wonder boxer

Comment

Opinion, from 50 years in automotive and related. Yes, experienced techs will be quite close to perfect BUT your family's safety depends on proper tightening. Overtorque can cause lugs to shear off, wheel to separate from vehicle. Undertorque WILL cause nuts to unscrew. And the point of the pin box staying attached is also a huge issue. P{lease take a very few minutes for peace of mind!
                  2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Comment

Trailer manufacturer's usually give a torque range for wheel lug nuts. You can use this (with your torque wrench) to make sure that the lug nuts are correctly torqued but not over torqued. I set my torque wrench towards the lower end of the spec range for the initial tightening and then go up 10 lb-ft or so for the second torque check. I expect the lug nut to move slightly to achieve the higher torque. Using a torque wrench repeatedly at the same setting has no way of detecting an over-torqued lug nut.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I will stick with my torque wrench.
                      David
                      2022 GD Imagine 2910BH

Comment

Don't forget to check the torque on the U bolts as well. They will eventually settle in but initially, the U bolts should be checked with a torque wrench before each trip until they do not require additional tightening to achieve the torque spec. Then they can be checked periodically.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                          Don't forget to check the torque on the U bolts as well. They will eventually settle in but initially, the U bolts should be checked with a torque wrench before each trip until they do not require additional tightening to achieve the torque spec. Then they can be checked periodically.

Jim
                          What U bolts?
                          David
                          2022 GD Imagine 2910BH

Comment

zibberfitchy The U-bolts that hold the axle to the springs.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

What U bolts?
                              From the Dexter manual...https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dexter.JPG Views:	0 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	73389
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X