Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I really need to use a torque wrench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Howard. U bolts should always be tightened evenly and to the specification in the Dexter or Lippert manual. You do not need to count threads above the nut but it does help to alternate tightening so the thread count is close if installing new U bolts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyHOBuKIMOo

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2022, 06:34 AM.

Comment

The other good/bad side of this forum besides ideas for tools that I need to consider purchasing are reminders of things to check that I hadn't thought of!
      Trying to get out of western WA this next week when the snow melts off and the passes I'm going to travel are supposed to be bare & wet (have NO desire to tow a 5th wheel in icy conditions) have repacked the wheel bearings, checked lug nut torque, tire pressure, replaced the TPMS batteries, checked torque on the fifth wheel components, new tires on the truck, been checking compartments & oraganizing things, making sure cupboards aren't a jumble, spare parts for different things - and it never crossed my mind to check the U-bolts on the springs.
      Maybe Sana's elves will stop by and take care of this for me being as it's their off-season?
      Chris
      Chris
      2019 Solitude 3740BH
      2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Chris,

Even a Harbor Freight torque wrench is better than nothing. You may also need a 6 point deep well socket for the U bolts. Washington state is so beautiful. Traveled to Everett (Boeing) for a college competition years ago and will never forget it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...nch-63882.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...-pc-69561.html

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2022, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Learned something new (torque the U bolts). Should folks consider torquing everything that can be torqued? I ask because for example the MORRyde suspension owners manual says nothing about checking torque; however, if you install a new M/R CRE3000, it says to tighten all nuts to 40 ft lbs. Anything else besides tires and U bolts that should be checked before each trip with a torque wrench?
          Heinz
          Elke and Heinz
          2018 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax SB
          2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by hduring View Post
            Learned something new (torque the U bolts). Should folks consider torquing everything that can be torqued? I ask because for example the MORRyde suspension owners manual says nothing about checking torque; however, if you install a new M/R CRE3000, it says to tighten all nuts to 40 ft lbs. Anything else besides tires and U bolts that should be checked before each trip with a torque wrench?
            Heinz
            The screws that hold down the wires in the electrical panel (not every trip...but annually not a bad idea). Full thread here on the topic: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...al-maintenance
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Heinz
              Another one I thought of...for those of use with a travel trailer (hitch ball torque): https://gdrvowners.com/towing-and-hi...ing-data/page2
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Heinz
                No need to check those IMO. They use lock nuts and a serrated bolt where they should remain tight if installed properly. Wheel lug nuts, U bolts and Hitch heads. Fifth wheel hitches may apply as well but I have not owned one. As Howard stated, a once over on the electrical wires at the panel would be good too. I checked mine and they were all tight. Technically, those are torqued with an inch pound wrench. More tools.

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Buy the way, the thread that Howard has illustrated from TucsonJim is alarming. Jim found that most folks are traveling with undertorqued hitch heads. This will involve another tool....a 600 ft-lb wrench or having the hitch head checked by any truck shop or RV center for a few dollars.

Jim

Comment

I set my hitch bolts with a breaker bar and a 3 ft cheater pipe, If my face is red and I am sweating........ they are as tight as theyre gonna get
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2024 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas with faux Allison 10 speed. Nellie the Diva, wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                      I set my hitch bolts with a breaker bar and a 3 ft cheater pipe, If my face is red and I am sweating........ they are as tight as theyre gonna get
                      LOL. I hear ya. When I'm checking owner's hitch ball torque at 450 ft-lb, it is a big effort to get to that point. But you'd be surprised how many I've found that were between 0 and 100 ft-lb.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

LOL. I hear ya. When I'm checking owner's hitch ball torque at 450 ft-lb, it is a big effort to get to that point. But you'd be surprised how many I've found that were between 0 and 100 ft-lb.

Jim
                        I can believe it. Even torquing the bolts on the hitch head to 250ft-lb with my 3/4" 300ft-lb torque wrench is a workout!

When you are checking your hitch ball, I am assuming that you are installing the hitch shank into your tv receiver to help hold it? My dealer has been 'nice' enough to check mine so far (it helps when you ask them just as you are two steps out the door after picking up your trailer from servicing ), so I've never needed to do it myself, but I will do it myself this year.
                        2019 Imagine 2400BH
                        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

When you are checking your hitch ball, I am assuming that you are installing the hitch shank into your tv receiver to help hold it?
                          Yep, It's in the receiver. Sometime, it's easier to install the receiver sideways so that I'm pushing down on the torque wrench (which goes to 600 ft-lb). If the hitch ball starts to rotate, I place a wrench on it and use wood cribbing to keep the wrench from turning.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                            Torque can easily be calculated with ones body mass and the length of a bar. Force (lb) X Distance (ft) = Torque (lb-ft). This will get you reasonably close.

Caution: Slipping off a breaker bar can be hazardous to ones health.

Jim
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2022, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Caution: Slipping off a breaker bar can be hazardous to ones health.

Jim
                              Amen Jim. My nose paid the price when a breaker bar slipped on me many years ago. But what the heck. A bent snozz adds character.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Maybe this can fall under “hitch heads?” We have a MORryde king pin. https://www.morryde.com/wp-content/u...ers-Manual.pdf
                                • Periodically check the torque values of all hardware. Torque specifications are attached.
                                . Click image for larger version

Name:	46381CB2-3590-48D9-9F65-429144A2F00A.png
Views:	416
Size:	776.8 KB
ID:	73510

We have a very long camping trip planned for the Spring. We want to ensure we are prepared before our travels, and it’s the little things that can bite us. Appreciate everyone’s info so far.

Heinz
                                Elke and Heinz
                                2018 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax SB
                                2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Working...
                                X