Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for Replacement Suspension Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
    So I took a drive today to a popular suspension shop here in Tucson called Arizona Spring. I sat down with the owner/manager and discussed replacing the springs on my RV. And I let him know that I'd be sharing the results on our technical forum. I brought a spare spring that I happened to have available for show and tell.

He was open and honest, and said that "every RV spring sold on units today is purchased by the big suspension companies such as Lippert and Dexter at the lowest possible price". He said "in the RV suspension business, every penny counts and goes against the bottom line. So there is no incentive to procure higher quality components."

Next, we discussed trying to find replacement springs that were of higher quality. He said that "for most of the RV applications, you can't find better springs. Most owners are as frugal as the suspension companies. They'll purchase a spring that is $2 less expensive vs. spending the money for a more costly spring. This drives the market and it's not financially viable for a manufacturer to tool up and make a spring that will cost a significant amount more than an OEM spring and only have a very small market. It's just not cost effective".

He went on to say that "Some spring manufacturers do have manufacturing facilities in multiple countries, including the USA. But even so, the raw steel is likely from China."

So unless someone has a source that we don't know about, if you purchase a spring for your RV, it's likely made from the lowest priced components and manufacturing processes.

While looking at the sample spring that I brought to the shop, he did have on tip to look for. Most of the springs we have are 25-1/4" from center of the eye to center of the eye. He said that owners should check the distance of the center of the spring bolts during their suspension inspections. He said if the spring eye distance is 26" or greater, the spring is starting to fatigue, and should be replaced. He recommended that owners consider replacing their springs every few years to avoid spring failure, even if the springs are showing significant fatigue yet.

Jim
    Jim,

I've heard this story too when speaking with folks at a spring shop. But there are those out there that custom manufacture springs and use only US sourced steel and bushings. These shops will custom make whatever your willing to pay for. When folks see the cost, the overseas springs suddenly become far more attractive. Also these shops are not interested in mass producing camper springs but focus on auto restoration where cost is rarely a concern.

Springs are changed when ride height becomes an issue or visible defects arise. Or if a design error is discovered with improper ride height where floor contact becomes an issue. I look at the clearance between the floor and the top of the tire to see where we are with ride height on my rig while level, I want to maintain 3.5 inches of clearance while loaded. GDRV changed the ride height of the Imagine in 2019 with the use of 2200lb springs and 4400lb axles as apposed to the 1750lb springs and 3500lb axles that are found on my 2017 model. There were many discussions of floor contact back then. My issue was solved with 1 inch lift blocks where at some time when my springs need to be replaced, I may move to the 2200 lb springs and remove the blocks. Blocks especially higher than 1 inch will result in additional spring wrap and put additional stress on the rear hangers which are already a weak area without the V Clips or especially on the heavier rigs without clips and with tall spring hangers.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 10-08-2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. So I've decided to replace the springs with OEM springs from Lippert, or another reputable source. After 6 years and 25,000+ miles, it's probably prudent to do so. Should be easy right?

WRONG...

I have all the original specs from the Lippert springs:

Part Number 702095
      Weight rating: 2,600#
      Loaded Length: 26"
      Unloaded Length: 25-1/4" (+/- 1/8")
      Number of Leaves: 4

So I go to my typical sources; Lippert, Amazon, e-Trailer... Lippert and Amazon show a spring with that part number, but the photo shows 3 leaves, not 4. And e-Trailer doesn't even show a replacement. So I've placed requests with LCI and e-Trailer to try and find a direct replacement. Maybe, their photo is wrong and the springs are actually four leaf. Hopefully they'll answer once they get back to work Monday.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim

So...asking for a friend who is relatively ignorant on the whole topic (cough, hack...): is there a difference between a 3 or 4 leaf spring given their rating is identical?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Jim,

Way back in post 8 of this thread, I attached a chart created by Pat Wardell when he and I were sorting through springs for our 303s. I think the springs you are looking for are LCI PN 124886.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            TucsonJim

So...asking for a friend who is relatively ignorant on the whole topic (cough, hack...): is there a difference between a 3 or 4 leaf spring given their rating is identical?
            Hi Howard,

If the spring is rated correctly, the number of leaves does not matter. I have even seen single leaf springs with ratings in the 3000 lb range. There is a commonly held theory that the more leaves, the more durable the spring will be because each layer of steel (each leaf) is carrying less load.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              TucsonJim

Q: Is there a difference...?
              A: Here are my calculations. 4 leaves - 3 leaves = 1 leaf.... LOL.

Honestly, I don't know and that's where I'm hoping LCI will answer. Their specification page for the part number still shows four leaves and has not been updated. I assume the stacked spring height will be different than the specification also. If so, I need to make sure the replacement U-bolts are the same part number as OEM.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...gs-webpage.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	702095.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	96507

Jim
              Attached Files
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Are more leaves a softer ride?

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

TucsonJim Jim, have you cold called someone like http://www.dracospring.com ? They make custom springs including leaf springs.

I would suspect more springs = harsher ride as the bending length of the springs is potentially less between each layer, but this is my GUESS. Likewise, less springs could equal thicker springs thus bending resistance in each layer is more.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I have an email into these folks on that very subject as they appear to be able to build custom springs https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Keith
                    I thought I would update this. I emailed them on 10/3 and have yet to hear back on them building me some 3K springs that matches my old spring critical dimensions. I resent it yesterday. So hopefully I will hear something this week. I have not called them yet.

Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      Are more leaves a softer ride?

Brian
                      I'm thinking no?....But I would be interested in a answer from someone that has some knowledge of spring theory.
                      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

In Robs chart (post #8) Cate&Rob the softest spring rate is the 6 leaf 3380lb at 1931lbs/inch. The spring also has the highest arch. so in my mind the number of leafs may or may not effect ride stiffness. It depends on the design and leaf thickness (thinner = softer), but that is not always true either based on Rob's chart. Also keep in mind the top leaf carry's all the load regardless of the number of leaves below and. I have never seen anything bit a broken top spring near and eye, so steel quality and proper manufacturing matter. From what I remember in College (70's) not all spring steel is equal either as there were different grades with different property's, but I have long forgotten that - sounds like a good internet search.

TucsonJim Dexter has a similar spring list to that of Lipperts. Rockwell has a similar list too - found on Dexter's site https://www.dexteraxle.com I am still trying to get information that Dexter or Rockwell are still making springs in the USA with US/Canadian steel. Web page seems to say so, but I have seen different in the shops I have visited. To me that is critical information.

Also be careful on Made in the USA claims. While at my selling GD dealer the other day they had a Lippert 3500lb replacement axle next to the service bay, and it had made in USA sticker on one of the springs. but towards the eye end was CHINA stamped in the steel. So was in made in USA using China steel? I think a few more inquires are in order.

Makes me wonder where the steel for my Lippert frame came from.

Hope this helps
                        Keith
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Keith, I would think the springs as individual pieces are made in China and properly marked as required by law. HOWEVER, once Dexter or whomever start combining various parts either all from one country or from multiple countries, it now becomes "MADE IN USA" even though they forgot the * stating using foreign sourced components.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I thought I would update this. I emailed them on 10/3 and have yet to hear back on them building me some 3K springs that matches my old spring critical dimensions. I resent it yesterday. So hopefully I will hear something this week. I have not called them yet.

Keith
                            Well I heard back from https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/ - I need to pull and measure a spring for them to give me an answer. A bit disappointed they cant read the Dexter Catalog. I gave them the Dexter part number and catalog reference along with all the dimensions off of the Dexter build sheet (length, witdh, spring center, and other dimensions). Ill take a crack at filling out thier measurement sheet without removing the spring. I can get the eye diameter and other information from the Dexter information I have. Otherwise Ill have the shop try and find what I want.

Keith

Comment

So e-Trailer responded to my request for the 2,600 Lippert spring. They said they don't sell those, but I could use a 2,500 Dexter spring in place of it. So much for the GAWR rating on the trailer. I'll contact Lippert directly today to see if they can identify a source or sell them directly.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                                So e-Trailer responded to my request for the 2,600 Lippert spring. They said they don't sell those, but I could use a 2,500 Dexter spring in place of it. So much for the GAWR rating on the trailer. I'll contact Lippert directly today to see if they can identify a source or sell them directly.

Jim
                                Is this the one your looking for?
                                https://store.lci1.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=702095
                                or
                                https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo...5508185&sr=8-1

Comment

Working...
                                X