Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoda's Victron MultiPlus and Solar Install - just hope I don't mess up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    bertschb howson TucsonJim Cate&Rob ncitro Jlawles2

Well it was an exciting day. No sparks and I was able to get the MPPT solar controllers programed for my batterys. I discovered the Windows program for Victron Connect does not support Bluetooth, so I fumbled through getting the app on my smart phone. I had a few A-S moments trying to download the app (finding it was the first fun) followed by a Eureka moment after I gave up and went (forced it) back to the main screen ( I had to turn the phone off, then on) and I found the app was there. I was thrilled to see it find the controller I had powered up.

I then used a 12V battery and powered up the MPPT controller one a time. It did 2 updates of the firmware and some other required program needed for each. I got an error on a update failure, but after going back the second time it said I had the latest. I was then able to fumble through changing the battery charging parameters. I did the twice to make sure the settings held. Not too bad once I figured out how to use my fat fingers to select the correct tabs and then learn you can hold down the Buttons to rapidly change voltages vers step through them one tenth at a time.

Now for the Multiplus - I am a bit intimidated.

I just went through several videos on how to connect up the MultiPlus using my MK3 - USB doh-icky and cabling. An read the instructions on the various settings.

I searched for this, but is there a print out or a list of the basic settings I need to change or links to this information. I know I need to reset the battery charge profile, but there are a lot of other tabs I am not sure off.

It is the basic MultiPlus 12 / 3000 / 120. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Keith
    I have played around with the MK3-USB and the Multiplus 12/3000/120. Using a Windows computer, you can download the current configuration file. Victron has a Windows App that lets you modify those settings and save the new settings. You then transfer the file back to your Multiplus. You can use the VE Configuration Tools for this ....found here: https://www.victronenergy.com/suppor...loads/software

As for the actual settings, you have some additional settings for the charger section of the Multiplus, but it is very similar to setting up the MPPT profile for your LiFePO4 batteries. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. I am currently monitoring my Victron system with a Raspberry Pi running Venus OS - it is running headless so all it needs is a WiFi connection (my Wingard LTE gateway works) and the USB connections from the MK3, the USB-VE for the MPPT and the USB-VE for the the BMV-712.
    2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
    1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
    2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

bertschb howson TucsonJim Cate&Rob ncitro Jlawles2

Well it was an exciting day. No sparks and I was able to get the MPPT solar controllers programed for my batterys. I discovered the Windows program for Victron Connect does not support Bluetooth, so I fumbled through getting the app on my smart phone. I had a few A-S moments trying to download the app (finding it was the first fun) followed by a Eureka moment after I gave up and went (forced it) back to the main screen ( I had to turn the phone off, then on) and I found the app was there. I was thrilled to see it find the controller I had powered up.

I then used a 12V battery and powered up the MPPT controller one a time. It did 2 updates of the firmware and some other required program needed for each. I got an error on a update failure, but after going back the second time it said I had the latest. I was then able to fumble through changing the battery charging parameters. I did the twice to make sure the settings held. Not too bad once I figured out how to use my fat fingers to select the correct tabs and then learn you can hold down the Buttons to rapidly change voltages vers step through them one tenth at a time.

Now for the Multiplus - I am a bit intimidated.

I just went through several videos on how to connect up the MultiPlus using my MK3 - USB doh-icky and cabling. An read the instructions on the various settings.

I searched for this, but is there a print out or a list of the basic settings I need to change or links to this information. I know I need to reset the battery charge profile, but there are a lot of other tabs I am not sure off.

It is the basic MultiPlus 12 / 3000 / 120. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
      Keith
      Keith,
      This document from Battleborn may help you walk through the basic process of changing the charge profiles. You will obviously need to use the appropriate settings for your batteries, but as ncitro mentioned there isn't a whole lot that needs to be done.

Victron-MultiPlus-12V-3000W- (1).pdf

Brian
      Brian
      2017 Silverado 2500 HD diesel
      2018 Reflection 230RL

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        All you should need to get going is the battery and charge parameters. There’s a ton more in there, and you’ll probably want to tweak that later but I think all you need to set is the charger to get going.
        This is what I did - just the battery/charge settings. I will dig into more advanced functions later. So far everything on my new system is working great and I want to learn more about the inverter before I start messing with it.

I made my changes using the Windows VE Config app and the MK3-USB adapter.

Victron video:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Zceq02vMA

I know you don't have LiFePO4 batteries but this shows how to program the Multiplus for the battery charge settings:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX5KO-oLrnc
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Thanks folks
          Now for my first question. I have a 30 amp service and wil be using a bank of 4 - 6volt Crown CR 260 batteries (deep cycle flooded) in series/parallel connection. 520 AH total. This battery bank can handle 120amps of charge which happens to be the max output of the MultiPlus

I have read through the instruction manual several times today.

First the DIP switches - do I need to set them if I am going to use the Victron Connect to program? There are Dip switches for AC current limit, which I think should be set to 30A and dip switches for % max charge rate (Factory settings is 75% )- should I set it for 100% or be safe and go less. And a few others for battery type. etc.

Advice?
          Thanks
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks folks
            Now for my first question. I have a 30 amp service and wil be using a bank of 4 - 6volt Crown CR 260 batteries (deep cycle flooded) in series/parallel connection. 520 AH total. This battery bank can handle 120amps of charge which happens to be the max output of the MultiPlus

I have read through the instruction manual several times today.

First the DIP switches - do I need to set them if I am going to use the Victron Connect to program? There are Dip switches for AC current limit, which I think should be set to 30A and dip switches for % max charge rate (Factory settings is 75% )- should I set it for 100% or be safe and go less. And a few others for battery type. etc.

Advice?
            Thanks
            I haven't touched the DIP switches, Keith. Everything was configured through a Windows laptop.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Retgw2 View Post

Keith,
              This document from Battleborn may help you walk through the basic process of changing the charge profiles. You will obviously need to use the appropriate settings for your batteries, but as ncitro mentioned there isn't a whole lot that needs to be done.

[ATTACH]n52743[/ATTACH]

Brian
              Thanks Brian - it is very helpful. Now I need to find the low voltage limits for my flooded batterys
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I haven't touched the DIP switches, Keith. Everything was configured through a Windows laptop.
                Yeah I did not touch them either. I did everything with Victron Connect and my Mac laptop. If you are prompted for a password to configure it I think it was zzz.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Was not a good day today. The Force has left me - even on Star Wars day. The only thing that worked was doing some edits to the MPPT programing using my smart phone. Crown battery got back to me on a question I had.

Now I have spent pretty much the hole day troubleshooting why I cant get the Victron Connect program to even find the MultiPlus.
                  I contacted Continuous Resources and they are setting up a screen share tomorrow .

In looking at my devices it may be the driver for the MK3-USB did not load - they indicated it could be the issue. Unfortunately they don't have it listed separately on the Victron site. Vectron said it should download automatically in their documentation. I uninstalled/reinstalled the Victron program several times along with the MK3-USB device to see if it would load. Even used the device manager to trouble shoot, but did no work either. I am running windows 10. The multiPlus does turn. I even swapped out cables in case the new one is bad.

I'll charge the battery I am using overnight (one group 27 I pulled from trailer ). I am charging it with my 2012 BatteryMinder. I can tell it was damaged when they were totally discharged a year ago as it discharges very quickly during the day - especially when powering the Multiplus.

I wonder if I can leave the BatteryMinder connected when powering up the Multiplus?

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Time for a cold one or two........

Keith

Comment

:In looking at my devices it may be the driver for the MK3-USB did not load - they indicated it could be the issue. Unfortunately they don't have it listed separately on the Victron site. Vectron said it should download automatically in their documentation. I uninstalled/reinstalled the Victron program several times along with the MK3-USB device to see if it would load. Even used the device manager to trouble shoot, but did no work either. I am running windows 10. The multiPlus does turn. I even swapped out cables in case the new one is bad.
                    Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Time for a cold one or two........

Keith
                    I got the MK3-USB driver downloaded via VEConfig program''s Menu Tab > Special > USB driivers

Installed VEConfig > VECSetup_B.exe
                    https://www.victronenergy.com/Execut...VECSetup_B.exe

Then followed https://www.victronenergy.com/suppor...loads/software to get the MK3-USB USB driver installed

USB driver installation program for MK2-USB / MK3-USB
                    To install the MK2-USB / MK3-USB driver on a computer without internet, first download the MK2-USB / MK3-USB driver using VEConfig3 and install it by selecting the menu Special -> USB Drivers. Only afterwards connect the MK2-USB / MK3-USB to your computer for the first time.

I had to browse to where the USB drivers downloaded to, then Windows10 installed the MK3-USB driver
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	VEConfig - Special - USB Drivers.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	52845
                    Gene and Kim
                    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

I got the MK3-USB driver downloaded via VEConfig program''s Menu Tab > Special > USB driivers

Installed VEConfig > VECSetup_B.exe
                      https://www.victronenergy.com/Execut...VECSetup_B.exe

Then followed https://www.victronenergy.com/suppor...loads/software to get the MK3-USB USB driver installed

USB driver installation program for MK2-USB / MK3-USB
                      To install the MK2-USB / MK3-USB driver on a computer without internet, first download the MK2-USB / MK3-USB driver using VEConfig3 and install it by selecting the menu Special -> USB Drivers. Only afterwards connect the MK2-USB / MK3-USB to your computer for the first time.

I had to browse to where the USB drivers downloaded to, then Windows10 installed the MK3-USB driver

Name:	VEConfig - Special - USB Drivers.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	52845
                      Gene Thanks
                      I saw that and did the download, but I guess I did not go far enough. I am a certified klutz when it come to computers and program. I remember the first desk top computers coming into the work place and can tell you horror stories of a manager hitting delete *.*. I still remember the screams from his office 200 feet away.

Hopefully Continuous Resources can walk me through the correct way to do this. Its good to know from your post that the light at the and of the tunnel is not the oncoming train.
                      Thanks
                      Keith

Comment

I had to browse to where the USB drivers downloaded to, then Windows10 installed the MK3-USB driver.
                        This was my brief note to self on what I did.
                        I walked thru my steps again to see what I probably did to get the drivers installed and select the MK3-USB on Com 3 for VEConfig to use.
                        Something like below, it's been several months since I'd done it so I may have done it slightly differently
                        VEConfig extracts the drivers to a folder.
                        USB-MK3 is plugged into laptop.
                        Opened up Windows Device Manager & see Other Devices: MK3-USB Interface
                        Select MK3-USB & update drivers, browse to folder VEConfig put the drivers in.
                        Windows shows the MK3-USB in Ports as USB Serial Port (Com3)
                        In VEConfig select the MK3-USB for comm with the Multiplus, Port Selection > Com 3 (USB Serial Port)

Name:	VEConfig USB Drivers extracted, Win10 Device Manager USB-MK3 Update Drivers.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	52892

Name:	USB-Mk3 Drivers Installed, Select Com 3 in VEConfig.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	52893
                        Gene and Kim
                        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
                          I had to browse to where the USB drivers downloaded to, then Windows10 installed the MK3-USB driver.
                          This was my brief note to self on what I did.
                          I walked thru my steps again to see what I probably did to get the drivers installed and select the MK3-USB on Com 3 for VEConfig to use.
                          Something like below, it's been several months since I'd done it so I may have done it slightly differently
                          VEConfig extracts the drivers to a folder.
                          USB-MK3 is plugged into laptop.
                          Opened up Windows Device Manager & see Other Devices: MK3-USB Interface
                          Select MK3-USB & update drivers, browse to folder VEConfig put the drivers in.
                          Windows shows the MK3-USB in Ports as USB Serial Port (Com3)
                          In VEConfig select the MK3-USB for comm with the Multiplus, Port Selection > Com 3 (USB Serial Port)

Click image for larger version  Name:	VEConfig USB Drivers extracted, Win10 Device Manager USB-MK3 Update Drivers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	52892
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	USB-Mk3 Drivers Installed, Select Com 3 in VEConfig.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	52893
                          EUREKA

I started my first cup of coffee, downloaded the USB drivers from your link Then plugged in the MK3-USB device and told the computer where the driver file was. First try did not work, so I went back through device manager and said update, pointing it to the driver again. Finally said device was working. Fired up the VEConfig program and first thing it did was update the MK3-USB driver and presto it fond my Multiplus, so I am ready to go.

To bad the programing screen cant be enlarged, but its working.

Thanks again for all your help

Comment

Hats off to Matt at Continuous Resources https://www.continuousresources.com/ We did a shared screen with voice and got the unit programed. He used Victron connect and not VE config that I was using. He upgraded the firm ware and walked me through the setting and helped enplane the charger settings.
                            Session went well and he was very patient with me.

So its programed and out in the front bay of the trailer - just need to figure out how to raise it up as it is too heavy foe me to mount all scrunched over. If got some loose blocking that I can use to walk it up to get on the mounting plate.
                            Speaking of witch I got mounted today. I used some 3M butyl tape top and bottom in case of vibration from the MultiPlus.

Today was a good day.

Keith
                            Last edited by Yoda; 05-05-2021, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Hats off to Matt at Continuous Resources https://www.continuousresources.com/ We did a shared screen with voice and got the unit programed. He used Victron connect and not VE config that I was using. He upgraded the firm ware and walked me through the setting and helped enplane the charger settings.
                              Session went well and he was very patient with me.

So its programed and out in the front bay of the trailer - just need to figure out how to raise it up as it is too heavy foe me to mount all scrunched over. If got some loose blocking that I can use to walk it up to get on the mounting plate.
                              Speaking of witch I got mounted today. I used some 3M butyl tape top and bottom in case of vibration from the MultiPlus.

Today was a good day.

Keith
                              Great news! Yeah I always used Victron Connect. I think they’removing to that as the only software platform.

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                                Yeah I always used Victron Connect.
                                I didn't know you could program the inverter using Victron Connect. I thought VE Config was required. Firmware updates? Yes. Programming? I didn't think that was possible.
                                Brian & Kellie
                                2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                                2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                                2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                                2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Working...
                                X