Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we put blocks under stablilizers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post 31. https://gdrvowners.com/tools-parts-o...k-needed/page3

These are the ones built for my BP TT back about 2014. Since then I did have to replace the bottom layer of boards on a couple of them (yes they are treated) but they stay in contact with the concrete or ground year round as the camper stays with the stabilizers down any time it's not being pulled between locations.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I place blocks under the stabilizer mostly because of laziness. I still use the hand crank tool that came with the camper and the less I need to crank, the happier I am.
      Dustin and Samantha
      2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE
      2021 Chevy Silverado - 3.0 Duramax - B&W Continuum

Comment

Only use them if ground is soft. Otherwise, imo, they have no function.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I made a set of these for use on unpaved surfaces to limit settling, the extra wide footprint really helps. They are made from two layers of 3/4" rubber bonded to a 1/4" aluminum plate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220220_152937__01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.8 KB ID:	80888
          2021 Reflection 278BH
          2002 GMC 2500HD

Comment

We put small pads under ours to keep it from sinking - but I still put them out on concrete.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Stabili...%2C268&sr=8-21

So - that does not give much height. I have always heard that the reason to use a block under the stabilizers (we don't) is that because the further spread the stabilizer jack is, the more stability it provies. The further extended (the straighter) it is - it provides less stabilization. Maybe this is an old wives tale?
            2020 Imagine 2400BH
            2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

I do it for two reasons that are pretty much just personal choice. The first is so I don't have to crank them down as far, since I crank them by hand. The second is I don't like to get dirt all over them.

Bob
              Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
              2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

A little late on replying, but this post came to mind on my trip this past week. I normally use 2x8 treated lumber as pads under my stabilizers. Since we were on an asphalt trailer apron, I decided to try it sans my 2x8's. End result is I put the 2x8's back under.

It seems that without the wood 2x8's, I was getting a faint "metal pinging" sound from the stabilizers as you moved in the trailer. No, they were not under or over extended, they were the same as always and per the instructions. I put the wood blockage under them and the pinging went away. I'm an retired IT engineer not a mechanical engineer so I can't explain what was happening, but all I can think of is there is some slight movement of the pad where it touches the ground and on asphalt, that movement transfers thru the system somehow creating a ping but when on wood pads, the tiny movement is perhaps absorbed by the wood.

I dunno. But I'll be continuing to use my wood pads cause little noises like that drive me nuts. Esp with 120 and 80 pound dogs moving around the trailer all the time.

Terry
                Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
                2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
                2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

I have some nice 2x10 pieces that were left over from the house construction, painted them all nice and red for visibility. Mostly I use them because my wife told me that I wanted to and its just easier that way.
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I originally missed this thread, but need to weigh in. I live in Arizona. It rained here once, and I actually put wooden blocks under my stabilizers on the hopes that the ground would actually get soft. But no such luck.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Sad truth is, it's because that's what is engrained into our brains. Anything provided by an OEM does not have enough load spreading to keep from sinking. Also it's another way to spend Keiths money on those Andersen or Daystar style blocks or the snap pads.

Yoda Sorry Keith just had to say it.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Never used blocks with this trailer. The last trailer, I had to all the time because the "scissor jack" stabilizers would never reach the ground otherwise. And for that, I have a friend who works for Edison, so we brought home a bunch of cross arms that we cut down to appropriate sizes.
                        Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                        2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                        2020 Momentum 351M
                        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                          Sad truth is, it's because that's what is engrained into our brains. Anything provided by an OEM does not have enough load spreading to keep from sinking. Also it's another way to spend Keiths money on those Andersen or Daystar style blocks or the snap pads.

Yoda Sorry Keith just had to say it.
                          LOL
                          Don't worry Joseph.

I already have a set of blocks - used then once for leveling and a second time at my FIL on his soft grass to keep the landing gear from sinking in (also the stabilizers.. I told him he needs to build me a concrete pad with utility's for future visits. LOL I got the look and a reminder to move closer to them so they could see SWMBO. - thier Daughter

Keith
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                          X