Pressing slide in keeps blowing fuse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressing slide in keeps blowing fuse.

I have a 2019 17 MKE. I put the slide out. No problem. When I go to put the slide in, it instantly blows the 15 amp fuse for the control panel. I changed five fuses then I tried the override and that did not work. Still blew fuses. When you press slide out you can hear it power up. When you press slide in it blows the fuse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My first advice would be to check it for obstructions, If it wont crank in with the override it would indicate and obstruction or part failure of some sort.
    Also note that if you crank a slide in manually you need to disconnect the battery cables so you dont backfeed the system (the motor will produce a current)
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Sorry, its a Shwintek slide, I didnt realize that, I thought it was a rack and pinion on that model

I cant be any help with the shwintek
      Try youtube, I do know there are troubleshooting videos on there
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Not sure if your trailer is wired differently, but I have to assume no, but on our trailer there are two fuses involved for the slide system. One is the 15amp fuse you referred to for the control center and the other is a 30amp self resetting fuse for the slide motors. On the slide controller, there is a 12v input, which I believe will be connected to the 30amp fuse, and a switch input, which will come from the convenience center.

Since the 15amp fuses to the convenience center is popping when you press the retract button, I would think you have a short somewhere there. Perhaps try disconnecting the toggle switch from the slide controller, and press the retract button. Obviously the slide won't go anywhere since the switch is not connected, but if the fuse still blows, that would mean the wire between the switch and the controller is your issue. If the fuse doesn't blow when the switch is disconnected, then perhaps there is a fault within the controller itself....

Another way to possibly check this is with your multimeter checking for a resistance value between the DC negative system and the positive at the switch pins on the back, particularly the retract pin.
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

sbfdchief91 On a Schwintek I lean to thinking it's the wiring harness for the motor. I know a few members on here have replaced theirs themselves. This is the thread that comes immediately to mind:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...t-momentum-376
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I just had similar problem. By process of elimination found it to be a short on the wire controlling the "in" side. In other words it did not pop fuse when powering the slide out.

ended up the wire from the controller to the switch was literally zip tied and screwed to the floor against the sharp corner of the furnace. From the factory!

re taped the wire and moved the harness away from furnace and all is well.

I posted a thread with some pics a couple weeks ago....good luck.
            2018 337RLS
            720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
            disc brakes, ems

Comment

20220317_084418.jpg We left SC 2 days ago. We were snowbirds for 4 months. Slide (schwintek ) in bedroom didn't move then popped fuse. Grabbed a buddy to help troubleshoot. We narrowed the short to a wire from the switch going to the controller for the "in" function. Going out worked, so motors fine. What I found is
              2018 337RLS
              disc brakes, ems

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Since the 15amp fuses to the convenience center is popping when you press the retract button, I would think you have a short somewhere there. Perhaps try disconnecting the toggle switch from the slide controller, and press the retract button. Obviously the slide won't go anywhere since the switch is not connected, but if the fuse still blows, that would mean the wire between the switch and the controller is your issue. If the fuse doesn't blow when the switch is disconnected, then perhaps there is a fault within the controller itself....

Another way to possibly check this is with your multimeter checking for a resistance value between the DC negative system and the positive at the switch pins on the back, particularly the retract pin.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you disconnect the switch wiring at the controller you will no longer have 12vdc through the switch circuit. If activated without current running through it no fuse will be tripped, regardless if there is a wiring issue.

You second suggestion using a multimeter to check resistance in the circuit will definitely show a short.
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you disconnect the switch wiring at the controller you will no longer have 12vdc through the switch circuit. If activated without current running through it no fuse will be tripped, regardless if there is a wiring issue.

You second suggestion using a multimeter to check resistance in the circuit will definitely show a short.
                  Yes and no

Where my head was at, I was thinking there could be a short somewhere in the wiring that connects the toggle switch in the convenience center to the slide controller. To test that, disconnect the wiring at the slide controller and leave it connected on the switch side, then toggle the switch to retract. If there is a short there, then current should travel from the fuse, to the toggle switch, through the wiring mentioned above, to the short back to the negative, causing the fuse to pop.

If there is no short in that wiring, then when you toggle the switch nothing should happen as the current has no path to flow. In that case though, then likely something in the slide controller is causing the fuse to pop.

But you are right, if the wiring is disconnected at the toggle switch, then nothing would happen either way.
                  2019 Imagine 2400BH
                  2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Follow up. With alot of trouble shooting and making a bypass wire, the problem is the wire that runs from the control panel switch to the slide controller for the "in" side is shorted. Made a bypass from switch to controller and slide works. Now the only issue is how to replace that paired wire that runs up behind the panel across the ceiling and back down into the space under the bed behind the draws. I have a standard east west bed. Or find the short and repair. Maybe GD can chime in on this? Can I just pull a new wire thru?

Comment

I'd try to identify the wire in various locations by removing things like the vents and possibly air conditioner internal shroud to see if you can locate the wire along it's path. After that you may be able to pull it in sections, but I would not hold my breath as one single stapled area of wire (probably where the short is) will prevent this from happening.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by sbfdchief91 View Post
                        Follow up. With alot of trouble shooting and making a bypass wire, the problem is the wire that runs from the control panel switch to the slide controller for the "in" side is shorted. Made a bypass from switch to controller and slide works. Now the only issue is how to replace that paired wire that runs up behind the panel across the ceiling and back down into the space under the bed behind the draws. I have a standard east west bed. Or find the short and repair. Maybe GD can chime in on this? Can I just pull a new wire thru?
                        I agree with Joseph. Likely a staple or something else that has finally worked it's way through the insulation and is now shorting out that wire. I doubt it will be as easy as pulling the old one out while pulling through the new one. Most likely it will be fishing a new wire.

Where is the controller in relation to the Convenience Center (CC)? I know the slide is on the opposite side of the camper from the CC but not sure where the controller is located.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Mine was the same. Follow wire and see if it rubbed against the furnace. Maybe the same kid did our rv's
                          2018 337RLS
                          disc brakes, ems

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                            Also note that if you crank a slide in manually you need to disconnect the battery cables so you dont backfeed the system (the motor will produce a current)
                            Motor will not generate anything significant with you manually cranking the slide.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            2021 303RLS
                            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                              Motor will not generate anything significant with you manually cranking the slide.
                              The switch is open, so no current path.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X