Reflection 220RK 6K axle replacement - step by step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

OK, maybe they just appear really tall to me or my memory has faded a tad since I did that job 10 or so years ago.
    Scott You may be correct - I retook my measurements but don't know if I should go higher or lower.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1452s.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	109976 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1455s.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	109977
    Distance behind the axles 25 1/2 Distance in front of axles 24 3/4, so average when level would be about 25 1/4

Name:	IMG_1457s.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	109978 Stack height 26 3/4 so I will be jacking the frame about 2" to get the cribbing under. I am pretty sure this wont get the tires off the ground, but I can jack under the spring perch to remove Will be tight with the cribbing there. . However my new axles are about 3/4 to 1" taller overall height due to increase spring stake height, thicker tube and new spring arch.

Do I need to go up another 3/4" on the stack? I am thinking of trying them as the are as I can always jack up if needed? Or go lower to say 26"?

Well back to cutting, drilling, and deck screws. Two more to build

Thoughts?

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda . . . I would go a little higher. You will want to be able to assemble everything for a complete assembly check, including the wheels. Might as well have the frame sitting solidly high enough to do this.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Yoda . . . I would go a little higher. You will want to be able to assemble everything for a complete assembly check, including the wheels. Might as well have the frame sitting solidly high enough to do this.

Rob
        Thanks Rob

Got he 5th one done and half way through the last crib build. I have some 1 by 4 boards I can shim up with to get the final height. Are you saying have the tires off the ground when cribbed up? As for the complete assemble check I was going to double check the torque on all bolts once done and after it sits a day. Is there any else needed? When I finally mount the tires I was going to double check the bearing play and brake activation using the truck.

Happy Easter

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Rob has a point there, but when I did mine I lifted it the bare minimum and after the axles were in I had to jack up the axles a bit to get the tire on. The higher I lift cars, trucks, trailers, etc the more uneasy I feel. So I keep them as close to the ground as possible. Not saying it is the right way to do it, just the way I feel is best for me.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

You will have support under the axles as you lift them into position. If/when you remove this support, be careful of the shackles “flipping” if the axles are hanging from the chassis above. This is normally not a problem when one side is worked on at a time and the tires on the other side remain on the ground . . . but, can be a concern if both sides are suspended.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Finished up the 6 the one this morning.

Now to get them all in place ready to set. I have additional 1x4 material cut and ready if needed.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1460s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.5 KB ID:	110020
              Ill get pictures as I get them placed to hopefully help others in the future. And yes I know it's time to paint the deck again I may just replace it as the foundation and structure is not the best.

Keith

Comment

Forget the trailer work! Why are you not sitting in that hot tub?

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  Forget the trailer work! Why are you not sitting in that hot tub?

Brian
                  You, Michelle, Wendy and I could be sitting in that hot tub with a beverage while we offer Keith advice........
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

You, Michelle, Wendy and I could be sitting in that hot tub with a beverage while we offer Keith advice........
                    LOL - come on over, but I have to much advise as is

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

LOL - come on over, but I have to much advise as is
                      Which reminds me...a job such as this should require a new tool...............or two......
                      2021 303RLS

Comment

Which reminds me...a job such as this should require a new tool...............or two......
                        Been there done that - jack stands. I have everything else (Impact gun and sockets) from a previous suggestion

Name:	IMG_1461s.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	110033 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462s.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	110034
                        Cribbing set to install. Just need to move the truck, get the bottle jack out and tractor hooked up and go for it. I will be using jack stands at the very rear as cribbing wont fit.
                        Tomorrow will be interesting

Keith

BTW look up what I found with the water tank while clearing room of the cribbing. Posted in plumbing.

Comment

It was a goo day, but I am tired. Trailer is now on the cribbing and I figured out a way to get there without jacks.

I set the rear blocks first - no jacking required

Name:	IMG_1465s.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	110107 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466s.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	110108
                          How do I set theses with no jacking?

Name:	IMG_1467s.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	110109 I just lowered the nose until the rear frame was high enough. I then raised the front until firm contact. I did not put a major load on the front jacks, just o the point they were working a bit. I then check the cribbing for any issues - none found. The it was time to bring in the BIG jack

Name:	IMG_1468s.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	110110 I have an attachment for the front of my tractor that fits the king pin. I can lift about 1400 lbs safely - possibly a bit more. First I moved my new Truck The went to lift the front of the trailer Ugg. However I ran into a slight issue. It did not have enough lift capacity to fully lift the front end - almost but not quite, so I had DW use the landing gear jacks for the little bit needed for the extra lift. The front jacks were not under much load doing this. I made sure of that. We lifted enough to get the front cribbing in, but found I needed to go up some more for the middle blocks in front of the axles., Also had to adjust the Valturra end cap valve to get the drivers side cribbing in. Ill probably need to re-glue it as it rotated on the barrel and not the locking collar that I had used silicone when I installed it.

Name:	IMG_1469s.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	110111 Trailer is now fully supported by the cribbing. I lowered the rear jacks for stabilization, Front landing gear is just set on the ground with a light load - cribbing is taking 99%. Before lowering the front and rear jacks I had the trailer 100% on the cribbing and tried to rock it with the tractor to see how stable it was. Zero movement for an aft and non movement sideways.. The tractor is really not needed as an anchor point, but I will keep it there just in case.

I had expected some creaking from the frame, but no noise during lifting. Trailer tires are just touching the ground. I have a small floor jack I can get under the spring perch for the last bit.

Anyone spot anything I should check out before proceeding?

Tomorrow I pull the axles. Just need to measure and build the cradle on the dolly platform so when I lower it I can pull it out easy.

Thanks
                          Keith

Comment

On last picture of tractor being used at a dead man. Front tires chalked , brake set, and rear blade down. Not moving anywhere.

Name:	IMG_1470s.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	110113

Comment

Looking good Keith. I think you are well on your way to getting this project done. Keep being careful.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Got the wheels off yesterday - not much else as I tweaked my back a little. The cribbing height was exactly what I needed. Had to jack the axles on one side a smidge to get the wheels off and the other side they were just free spinning. My Milwaukee M18 impact gun (you folks twisted my arm remember) made very fast work of getting the lug nuts off. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/2863-22R I used the low power setting. Is there any reason I cant use to to get the suspension nuts off. I know to hold the bolt head to keep it from turning. For install I will use my normal ratchet wrenches.

Name:	IMG_1471s.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	110248 I did have a slight panic attack looking at these compared to the new ones. The center hub on the new ones is bigger, so I though I was going to have a rim fitment problem. However the center cap fits the new axles - so I should be good. Lug spacing measures the same.

Name:	IMG_1472s.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	110249
                                These look massive compared to the old.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                                X