No announcement yet.

Reflection 220RK 6K Axle Upgrade Discussion - and help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK I thought I would update this thread.
    My frame is fully repaired and I have decided to do this myself GD sent me new coroplast and Lippert has reimbursed me for the frame repair so all is god there. Frame is now fully sub framed withe 2x2 1/8" square tubing

My local trailer dealer has been remiss at getting back to me for some reason, so I called the Aurora CO Dexter/Rockwell distributor and talked with Krystal and went through and verified my options and she will be sending me a quote for everything( axles and springs). Axles wil be fully assembled with spring perches welded on with breaks and hubs installed. I will need to attach the springs.- should not be too hard (any tips)

Its a 6K set up with 3.5" HW tube and 6K 6 on 5.5 hub (EZ Lube) with 12x2 electric never adjust breaks (current are 10 by 2.25). Also the SW6 #4362-33 American Made springs (3300lb capacity) and 9/16" U bolts (upgrade form 1/2"). The bigger u bolts have a wider flat area that goes around the tube. I have already verified the initial compression rate for the first 1.25" is the same as my current springs. I do plan to reinstall the sumo springs as dampeners. I am awaiting the detailed quote so I can verify everything before ordering.

Now a question - the tube is arched slightly, but still for 6K, like every straight axle out there. I know that's to accommodate for load. I was wondering about tire wear shifting to the outside of the tire as the wont be fully loaded (about 60%) current loading on the 4400 lb axles is 84% I searching on this i have come up with zero issues on tire wear with lightly loaded trailers. Thoughts?

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith,

You should be ok. You could also have the axles tweaked if needed. American made springs are interesting. Who provided those?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
        Keith,

American made springs are interesting. Who provided those?

Jim
        Dexter - actually made in Texas by Rockwell as a subsidiary to them. I verified by calling the Rockwell folks and talking to an engineer there to verify that particular spring was made in Texas. Not all dexter springs are USA made, so it pays to verify.

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

The axles on our 303 are arched.

IIRC the arch is between the spring perches so the ends where the axles mount are straight.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Dexter - actually made in Texas by Rockwell as a subsidiary to them. I verified by calling the Rockwell folks and talking to an engineer there to verify that particular spring was made in Texas. Not all dexter springs are USA made, so it pays to verify.
            Very nice Keith,

If you happen to speak with them again, ask them if the springs are made from American sourced steel. This is the key to having a domestic made spring IMO.

Looks like you will be ready for another Alaska trip after all the new suspension and frame work.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              The axles on our 303 are arched.

IIRC the arch is between the spring perches so the ends where the axles mount are straight.
              Joseph
              The arch actually goes out to the hub face through the spring perch. (one continuous bend) When loaded the load on the spring perch compresses the tube arch.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Very nice Keith,

If you happen to speak with them again, ask them if the springs are made from American sourced steel. This is the key to having a domestic made spring IMO.

Looks like you will be ready for another Alaska trip after all the new suspension and frame work.

Jim
                It might be, and might not. Page 2 of this indicates they have strict ISO standards. https://issuu.com/stevecaudill/docs/...pring_brochure

I know US and Canadian steel folks meet this.

Additional information here https://www.dexteraxle.com/Products/...turing--Dexter

Keith

On edit https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ngBrochure.pdf

Update - I called the listed 800 number and I was told after a few minutes hold that Yes they are using USA made steel
                Last edited by Yoda; 02-03-2023, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I think you will get outside tire wear with the heavier axles. With the load compression the tires might have negative camber, top titling outwards ( I think that is negative). Just my 4 cents ( trying to keep up with inflation)

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Well even with the arch, all of my trailer tires wear on the inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	153
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	104847

The S term will help determine ultimate strength, where the I term is used for deflection. From one end of the thickness to the other is just over 2. So if you get 1/2 of the deflection, it's still not a bit number at such a short overhang from the spring. If it were, then they probably have already accounted for it in the arch of the tubing.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Well even with the arch, all of my trailer tires wear on the inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	153
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	104847

The S term will help determine ultimate strength, where the I term is used for deflection. From one end of the thickness to the other is just over 2. So if you get 1/2 of the deflection, it's still not a bit number at such a short overhang from the spring. If it were, then they probably have already accounted for it in the arch of the tubing.
                      Thanks Joseph
                      I think I understand from your table that the thicker the 3.5" tube wall the stiffer (less deflection) there is. Am I reading it correctly? Your tire wear is probably due to Dexter using light wall 3" tube 0.16 thickness. (Check you tage and get the specifications on the build from Dexter. That tube is used for even 6K axles. In my reading that tube thickness flexes a lot. Lippert also sets the spring preach at roughly the max overhang point (for inside tire clearance) thus increasing the flex. which wold translate to inside wear. I hate to ask, but have you checked for axle trueness to be sure they have not bent or taken a set.?

Brian Country Campers that could be a good thing as mine are warn on the inside now. However there are no reports of adverse tire wear (outside) on new empty trailers traveling thousands of miles empty such as Washington State or Canada . If I becomes a real problem I can have them tuned.

Its too bad Dexter does not have a specification page on thier axle tubes and what they pre-arch them two for the axle rating - probably proprietary.

I should hear back early next week on the quote.

Keith

Comment

Here are the axle details:

24" PIGTAILS,Brk Axle,UFP #32352,UFP #32353,CONE,BEARING 25580,CONE,BEARING LM67048,TITAN: 0802100,TITAN: 1022900,HF= 86.50,12x2,Elec,FSA Brk,Std.Spdl,Flg-EZ Lube,2.250 Seal,3.00xLt Wall,6-5.50,H-D,1/2-20 Stud,Galv.Cap,OvrSlg,SC= 68.50,1.75 Wide,26"Dbl Eye Bronze Bush,2600# Bronze Bush,Sprgs,Calculate hubface & spring c.,Tube Cut= 76.3700,Calculate Leaf Sp Capacity,CSA TAG CAPACITY = 5200,CSA TAG CAPACITY = 5200,Wired,24" pigtails,Punch Tube 1.0 inch from tube end.

As predicted light wall. I have measured both sides center to center of the hubs and they are the same. I have not taken the time to see what the deflection on the tubes is (never really thought about it) from the spring perch to the hub. That sounds like a 2 jack and string line measurement.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yoda
                          Hi Keith
                          Back in 2010 or 2011 when I changed the axles on my Titanium from undersized axles (I don't remember the size exactly) to the same 6000# axle assys that you are buying, the tires wore perfectly after the swap. The Titanium was listed as 8800# empty, 10500# full load.
                          If you need/want tips on alignment let me know.
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Here are the axle details:

24" PIGTAILS,Brk Axle,UFP #32352,UFP #32353,CONE,BEARING 25580,CONE,BEARING LM67048,TITAN: 0802100,TITAN: 1022900,HF= 86.50,12x2,Elec,FSA Brk,Std.Spdl,Flg-EZ Lube,2.250 Seal,3.00xLt Wall,6-5.50,H-D,1/2-20 Stud,Galv.Cap,OvrSlg,SC= 68.50,1.75 Wide,26"Dbl Eye Bronze Bush,2600# Bronze Bush,Sprgs,Calculate hubface & spring c.,Tube Cut= 76.3700,Calculate Leaf Sp Capacity,CSA TAG CAPACITY = 5200,CSA TAG CAPACITY = 5200,Wired,24" pigtails,Punch Tube 1.0 inch from tube end.

As predicted light wall. I have measured both sides center to center of the hubs and they are the same. I have not taken the time to see what the deflection on the tubes is (never really thought about it) from the spring perch to the hub. That sounds like a 2 jack and string line measurement.
                            Your hub face and spring center measurement is the same as mine. The only difference is the capacity Your bearings are bigger. You have a different hub with the 12" brakes?. No need to jack - place a straight edge across the flats of the U-bolts and take measurements each way along the tube. In my case the gap measurement increased as I went out towards the hub, indicating the tube was bent.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                              Yoda
                              Hi Keith
                              Back in 2010 or 2011 when I changed the axles on my Titanium from undersized axles (I don't remember the size exactly) to the same 6000# axle assys that you are buying, the tires wore perfectly after the swap. The Titanium was listed as 8800# empty, 10500# full load.
                              If you need/want tips on alignment let me know.
                              Thanks Scott
                              The Tips would be most welcome.
                              Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Your hub face and spring center measurement is the same as mine. The only difference is the capacity Your bearings are bigger. You have a different hub with the 12" brakes?. No need to jack - place a straight edge across the flats of the U-bolts and take measurements each way along the tube. In my case the gap measurement increased as I went out towards the hub, indicating the tube was bent.

Keith
                                Straight edge between the opposing U-bolts or on one spring pack?
                                Joseph
                                Tow
                                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X