Announcement

Collapse

Need help?

Please include the year, make and model of your GDRV ("2019 Reflection 315RLTS") along with the make and model of the component with the issue ("Dometic RM1350 refrigerator", "Furrion FMCM15-BL microwave", etc) in your question.
See more
See less

Solar and the Battery Disconnect Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone that is following this thread--manuals for all of the Furrion products were provided by Grand Design and are posted here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/r...-solar-manuals

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes I have what they call a manual, its not very informative. An I have looked everywhere that I can think of online and get the same result as you. Its not even on Furrion's web site go figure..
      Jason & Misty
      2021 265BH Transcend Xplor
      2007 F-150 5.4L V8 towing package

Comment

I have a 2021 transcend xplor 321RK and the parts list shows the Furrion controller. I haven’t had a lot of time to look but where do they have the controller?

Comment

Originally posted by GasMan View Post
          I have a 2021 transcend xplor 321RK and the parts list shows the Furrion controller. I haven’t had a lot of time to look but where do they have the controller?
          The controller should be in the pass thru on the street side , it may be on the ceiling or a wall in that area. You will only have this if you have the factory solar package. If you just have the solar prep you will not have a controller.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS Oct.17 build date, EMS-HW50C , Lippert Remote
          2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Duramax , Reese Elite 18K

Comment

Hello, I too have a question about this. I have a 2021 transcend xplor 297qb with a 165w 25a furrion MMPT controller.
            a couple of weeks ago I went to go check on my rig. The battery disconnect was off and the battery was dead. I called tech support and they told me to put the disconnect in the "on" position and the panel should charge the battery in about a day. I just checked on it today and the battery was still dead. Luckily the park was nice enough to let me plug in for the night to try and charge the battery before I go pick it up tomorrow. When will the panel charge the battery?

Just another interesting thing I noticed when I initially winterized the rig and turned the disconnect off. The light on the fridge would be on when I opened it. (I had turned off both fridges for the winter) do I need to trip the breaker for the fridge to keep it from bleeding my battery?

Thanks,
            A very new RV owner.

Comment

Originally posted by chadwich.cooper View Post
              Hello, I too have a question about this. I have a 2021 transcend xplor 297qb with a 165w 25a furrion MMPT controller.
              a couple of weeks ago I went to go check on my rig. The battery disconnect was off and the battery was dead. I called tech support and they told me to put the disconnect in the "on" position and the panel should charge the battery in about a day. I just checked on it today and the battery was still dead. Luckily the park was nice enough to let me plug in for the night to try and charge the battery before I go pick it up tomorrow. When will the panel charge the battery?

Just another interesting thing I noticed when I initially winterized the rig and turned the disconnect off. The light on the fridge would be on when I opened it. (I had turned off both fridges for the winter) do I need to trip the breaker for the fridge to keep it from bleeding my battery?

Thanks,
              A very new RV owner.
              Hello chadwich.cooper and welcome to the forum. Since I noticed that was your first post I want to mention that the moderators have put together a Welcome Letter to New Members . I hope you'll take a moment to check it out (and provide feedback as desired).

For your question: what probably happened is the controller needs battery power to turn on and process the power from the solar panels. No battery power = dead controller, so the power from the panels literally "sat" on the input side of the controller.

Don't be surprised if the battery won't take a charge or provides much less power than expected. Lead-acid batteries (I assume it's a lead acid battery) don't like being completely discharged. There's a Battery 101 presentation by my fellow moderator TucsonJim that you may find informative. It's in the Reference Material section of the Electrical channel (or use the link provided).

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

chadwich.cooper Welcome to the family and the forum!
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, and the baby kitty Cleo.
                Pilot (Zebulon), NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Hello chadwich.cooper and welcome to the forum. Since I noticed that was your first post I want to mention that the moderators have put together a Welcome Letter to New Members . I hope you'll take a moment to check it out (and provide feedback as desired).

For your question: what probably happened is the controller needs battery power to turn on and process the power from the solar panels. No battery power = dead controller, so the power from the panels literally "sat" on the input side of the controller.

Don't be surprised if the battery won't take a charge or provides much less power than expected. Lead-acid batteries (I assume it's a lead acid battery) don't like being completely discharged. There's a Battery 101 presentation by my fellow moderator TucsonJim that you may find informative. It's in the Reference Material section of the Electrical channel (or use the link provided).

Howard
                  So, I picked up the trailer today and low and behold the battery was charged. Yay!
                  I still would like to know how to prevent that from happening again. So, the solar panel should keep the battery charged if I keep the disconnect key in? Is this the preferred way to winterize with a solar panel?

Thanks,

Chad

Comment

Originally posted by chadwich.cooper View Post

So, I picked up the trailer today and low and behold the battery was charged. Yay!
                    I still would like to know how to prevent that from happening again. So, the solar panel should keep the battery charged if I keep the disconnect key in? Is this the preferred way to winterize with a solar panel?

Thanks,

Chad
                    The best way may be (with a fully charged battery):

1) Turn off the solar controller
                    2) Turn off the battery disconnect
                    3) Remove the negative cable from the battery

Consult your owners manual and you'll find it recommends removing the negative cable from the battery, too, for long term storage.

How is the solar on your Transcend implemented--is there a disconnect switch between the panel(s) and controller? How about between the controller and the battery?

Comment

Working...
                    X