Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for Replacement Suspension Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Mike,

Can you get a commitment on their use of US or Canadian steel?

The more sources the better.

Jim
    Sorry, I can't now as I am away until the end of September. This is their website if you want to give them a call.

https://www.arizonaspring.com/
    Mike and (RIP Karen)
    2021 2600RB
    2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Bill I did not know Sumo made leaf springs.

Jim
      Sumo does not make leaf springs - they are just the rubber ones.

To our movie star TucsonJim it looks like Dexter are US made https://www.dexteraxle.com/rockwell-american

I would guess you could cross reference you Lippert spring with them.

Just a thought
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I called the owner of a spring shop in my corner of the country and he claims to use US and/or Canadian sourced SAE 5160 spring steel in making his springs. No overseas sourced steel.

The shop is Eaton Detroit Spring.

If someone who is in immediate need for a spring and wants to order and report back to the forum on quality, it would be great.

Maybe at some point, Rob Cate&Rob could throw one on his test fixture.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2022, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Anyone ever heard of or used Dever springs?

There is also Denver Spring in Colorado.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

According to this info, https://www.dexteraxle.com/Products/...turing--Dexter Dexter springs are made in "​​​​​​Seagoville, Texas (approximately 15 miles east of downtown Dallas), our 78,000 square foot facility houses equipment specifically designed to manufacture a wide range of standard and custom single-leaf, multi-leaf, and tapered springs."

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              According to this info, https://www.dexteraxle.com/Products/...turing--Dexter Dexter springs are made in "​​​​​​Seagoville, Texas (approximately 15 miles east of downtown Dallas), our 78,000 square foot facility houses equipment specifically designed to manufacture a wide range of standard and custom single-leaf, multi-leaf, and tapered springs."

Rob
              Rob,

Is there any info from them in where the steel is sourced with grade?

Jim
              Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2022, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Rob,

Is there any info from them in where the steel sourced with grade?

Jim
                When I go to their site, I can find all sorts of links/bushings/etc . . . but, no actual leaf springs . . . hmmm. Dexter recently acquired Rockwell, so maybe spring manufacturing is in their plan, or maybe they only sell to OEMs?

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Leaf spring manufacturing video .
                  ​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56zDK3pBS1s

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

This is a screenshot of Rockwell spring specs, that I saved a long time ago. Resolution is not very good and I can't find the source that I got this from.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rockwell American Double Eye Springs.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	84351
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have a friend that runs a family owned shop in Pontiac MI. They have been in business for many years. They stock replacement axles, springs, brakes and trailer parts. I know that they have a stock of OEM Dexter parts but they can supply virtually any spring to whatever specs you want. They do not make them in house though.
                      They service everything from class 8 trucks to classic cars with a full frame shop along with utility trailer sales and service for any trailer. They did all the brake, suspension and spring work on our engines and aerials at work. They are also the ones that did the frame repair on my Open range and installed the cross brace along with the frame reinforcements.
                      Clydes wheel and frame 248 338-0323 ask for Bob or Dave.
                      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        Dexter recently acquired Rockwell, so maybe spring manufacturing is in their plan, or maybe they only sell to OEMs?

Rob
                        I have purchased direct from dexter. They will sell springs, axles, brake assy's etc. At least they did a few years ago.
                        I could send you the dexter info sheet for the 5200# axles and springs that are on my 2021 303. Springs should fit your 'old buggy'?
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

When a shop is selling a spring that is sourced from somewhere else its most likely from China. The desire is to maximize profit where the down side is the lack of direct quality control. The auto industry would do their best to spot check products like this where the RV industry would react after a rash of failures.

Jim

Comment

I'm resurrecting this thread from several months ago. The Arizona heat is finally starting to mitigate so I can start working on the trailer again. I just did some initial planning, and we're looking to put about 15,000 miles on the RV next year. So I'll start seriously sourcing a spring supplier and let you know how it turns out.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                              we're looking to put about 15,000 miles on the RV next year.
                              Jim
                              Going to Mongolia?

Comment

Around here, people just go to the local tractor/trailer shop. They service transports to boat trailers and everything in between. I wouldn't think picking up springs would be too difficult?

Comment

Working...
                                X